Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been having an issue with my zx6r hoping someone can help me out. Lately I've noticed my ABS light will come on randomly while riding. Usually it pops on when I'm accelerating in first or second. The brakes still work as far as i can tell and don't seem to be locking up. The ABS light will stay on until i pull over and shut the bike off. Once i turn it back on, and take off it will disappear again.

Anyone have any idea what the hell could be the issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I've just looked from the side, and see nothing on the ABS sensors. This is also the second time i am now charging my battery. I originally thought it could be that, rode it the first time i charged, didn't ABS light pop up (but i don't think i really went hard on the throttle). Didn't ride for a week and again the issue persists. I doubt the battery would die so quick.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
First thing to do is check the charging rate at idle and around a constant 4k revs and let us have your readings.
At Idle you should see Battery voltage around 12.0 Volts
At 4,000 RPM you need to be here 14.3 ~ 14.7 Volts
An issue with the charging system could easily be the cause of the abs light.
Kawasaki have had issues with the MOSFET reg/rect fitted to the 6 & 10R's of later Models and put out a recall of efected units.

As a side note it's a known issue with 2015 ZX10R's with a Reg/Rect problem causing the Steering Damper fi light to come on intermittently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing to do is check the charging rate at idle and around a constant 4k revs and let us have your readings.
At Idle you should see Battery voltage around 12.0 Volts
At 4,000 RPM you need to be here 14.3 ~ 14.7 Volts
An issue with the charging system could easily be the cause of the abs light.
Kawasaki have had issues with the MOSFET reg/rect fitted to the 6 & 10R's of later Models and put out a recall of efected units.

As a side note it's a known issue with 2015 ZX10R's with a Reg/Rect problem causing the Steering Damper fi light to come on intermittently.
Interesting, I'll have to buy a muti-meter and report back with findings. It's odd, the issue started out of the blue when the bike sat for a little while.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
When the warning light comes on does the Meter display any numbers.
Have you tried entering Dealer mode on the Meter to see if any codes exist ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the warning light comes on does the Meter display any numbers.
Have you tried entering Dealer mode on the Meter to see if any codes exist ?
All that happens on the dash is the yellow ABS light appears and stays there. I get no other types of errors, warnings, or codes on the dash. As for the dealer mode I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Ok let me drag some info from the Service Manual and post it for ya.

Switch Ignition on and make sure the Kill switch is in the Run position.
Make sure the Battery is fully charged.
Then follow the this procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the help. I just tried replugged in my battery (was charging, and went full in 30 min...), tried holding it for 10 seconds, less, more. I get nothing popping up on my screen.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
So just to confirm.
Ignition on.
Kill switch in run.
Push Button A until the Meter shows your Mileage.
Then press Button A again and hold for 2 seconds or more and if no code/s are displayed then non exist.
So we we're back to the Battery issue at this point we need them readings so when you get a Meter post up the readings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just to confirm.
Ignition on.
Kill switch in run.
Push Button A until the Meter shows your Mileage.
Then press Button A again and hold for 2 seconds or more and if no code/s are displayed then non exist.
So we we're back to the Battery issue at this point we need them readings so when you get a Meter post up the readings.
Correct, followed exactly as you said and no codes show up. I'll have to buy the meter tomorrow, and when i do I'll post in here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just checked it, the following;
Battery out of bike > 12.8v
Ignition on (Kill switch off) > 12.3v - 12.38
Idle > 14.25v - 14.3
4k RPM > 14.6v

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
OK it looks like the charging system is pushing out excessively at Idle for some reason, It should read approximate Battery voltage 12.0v not 14+ Volts.
Sounds like the Regulator side is not shunting sufficient voltage to ground at idle but would that cause your issue I wonder.
Can you unplug the 2 connections at the Reg/Rect and check to make sure they appear in good condition and plug them back in nice and snug.
How many miles has the Bike done and is she in good order ? Had any work done recently ? Need a bit of History to move forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK it looks like the charging system is pushing out excessively at Idle for some reason, It should read approximate Battery voltage 12.0v not 14+ Volts.
Sounds like the Regulator side is not shunting sufficient voltage to ground at idle but would that cause your issue I wonder.
Can you unplug the 2 connections at the Reg/Rect and check to make sure they appear in good condition and plug them back in nice and snug.
How many miles has the Bike done and is she in good order ? Had any work done recently ? Need a bit of History to move forward.
Many thanks again for still helping me. I just looked at both the cables that go into the Reg/Rect. I tried taking it out but couldn't (Sort of in a rush) then decided I'll try push them in to see if they are plugged in all the way.
The white cable was, the black cable wasn't all the way in and was only slightly out (wasn't snug). Sadly i cant test it out right now as i have to go to work! You think this could be the issue?
The bike otherwise is all in perfect working order, nothing needs adjusted including the vales. It's done 13670 miles. When i get back i'll post up an update.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts