Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 kx450f that is spitting oil out of the breather on the magneto cover side. I have done research and found that the oil screen behind the flywheel can be clogged and cause this to happen. I pulled it apart cleaned it and still spitting oil. Next I heard it could be a top end issue so I rebuilt the top end. It is still doing it. The oil level is correct so I know it isnt that... where do I go from here? Need help!

Additional information: it blows oil out while its running too no matter what RPM. If the crank is turning over it is losing oil.

·
991 Posts
Some kx450 owners report that the oil sight glass is notoriously inaccurate and can give false low readings causing owners to add too much oil. Their advice is to make sure that during an oil change you add the right quantity of oil and after that, just use the sight glass to make sure you still have oil, but don't add oil unless no oil shows in the sight glass.

However if no oil shows, then Kawi says to lean the bike a bit to the right to see if any oil appears. If no oil appears after the bike is leaned extreme right, they say to drain all oil and then add correct amount. So apparently if oil appears with a slight lean of the bike, you are good to go.

In your case, if you are very careful and drain the oil into a clean container, you can measure it to see if it was overfilled and then add back the correct amount of oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some kx450 owners report that the oil sight glass is notoriously inaccurate and can give false low readings causing owners to add too much oil. Their advice is to make sure that during an oil change you add the right quantity of oil and after that, just use the sight glass to make sure you still have oil, but don't add oil unless no oil shows in the sight glass.

However if no oil shows, then Kawi says to lean the bike a bit to the right to see if any oil appears. If no oil appears after the bike is leaned extreme right, they say to drain all oil and then add correct amount. So apparently if oil appears with a slight lean of the bike, you are good to go.

In your case, if you are very careful and drain the oil into a clean container, you can measure it to see if it was overfilled and then add back the correct amount of oil.
I definitely have the correct amount in there. The manual calls for 2 quarts and thats exactly how much I put in. No matter how far to the roght I lean the bike there is no oil in the sight glass. Atleast after I started and ran it. Regardless it started doing this just randomly one day not after an oil change. It has to be something internal

·
991 Posts
I found your problem. Your bike calls for 1 quart of oil not 2. To be precise it needs 1.01 US quarts if you don't change the oil filter at the same time. If you do change the oil filter, then you need to add 1.04 quarts.

Drain it out. Add the correct quantity and your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found your problem. Your bike calls for 1 quart of oil not 2. To be precise it needs 1.01 US quarts if you don't change the oil filter at the same time. If you do change the oil filter, then you need to add 1.04 quarts.

I'll try it thank you. I read online that the manual said 2 quarts. Guess I found the help of a dummy online lol. I'll go drain it now and try it.

·
991 Posts
Free downloads of the owners manuals are available. That's where I got the info. You do have to be careful about the information you get on the internet. Sounds like you should download the manual and not rely so much on internet "experts". Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok did it. It spit for a minute but it isnt spitting anymore. Either im out of oil and gonna go boom or its just right 😂😂😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts