Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 MULE SX FI engine stumbles when warm and under load, mainly on woodland hills.. I have checked the fuel evaporative system, drained the gas tank and checked the fuel pump- all appear fine. MULE has 140 hours on it, never been submerged or abused. It is extemely intermittannt and the local dealer where I puchased it said that they may not be able to replicate the problem. MULE is still on warranty for about another month ( purchase 08/12/2019). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Take it back to the dealer so the issue is documented as a warranty claim.

Dealers have a direct line to Kawasaki service reps at the national distributor level. You should insist that they involve these National service reps. since their knowledge exceeds that of any dealer's.

If they cannot find or replicate the problem, at least you will have established a claim which may help you later after the Mule is off warranty and the problem gets more frequent.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got a new Transmission for my Honda Accord when I docuemnted it was slipping. 2 months after it no longer work, 2 months past warranty, 1.5 years after I reported it, they gave me a new one, because of that documentation. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. I was driving the the MULE yesterday and it stopped running altogether. Would not restart until it cooled down for a few minutes. I suspect electrical or fuel injection/ECU. Off to the dealer later today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2019 MULE SX FI has been back at the dealer almost a week. They were able to replicate the stutter problem after driving it and getting it very hot. They did a diagnostic test and found an intermittent spark problem. They called Kawasaki who recommended that they "try" changing the coil which the dealer did not have in stock. Still waiting for the outcome but my confidence level in Kawasaki is very much diminished. The dealer did say that it is all covered by warranty. Hard to believe that a vehicle is manufactured with an air cooled engine that can get so hot as to make electrical parts malfunction.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Electrical faults can be very hard to diagnose. I don't think heat caused the coil to malfunction. Rather, the coil was defective right out of the factory, and because of the defect it was overly sensitive to engine heat.

Please keep us posted. Here's to hoping the new coil will fix the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coil did not fix the problem. The dealer's mechanic said that as he was test driving the Mule, he noticed that turning had an effect and shaking the machine by standing and shifting weight also. He has now determined that a wire in the vicinity of the throttle body has been rubbed bare and partially broken by the action of the suspension. He was going to do more test driving to make sure and I might be able to pick it up today. I will post in more detail after I pick it up and confirm fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The partially broken wire in back of the throttle body was the problem. The MULE now runs like a charm and it was all covered under warranty. The dealer had quite a few hours doing the diagnosis and repair.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
That's the best outcome possible in that it did not cost you a dime, and they found and fixed the problem.
Sometimes a dealer will say "well, we found and fixed a few things, but we are not sure if that was the issue" and then you are in doubt and worry about it leaving you stranded.
Happy trails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts