Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2021 Vulcan Voyager 1700 and it has shut down while riding it 5 times. Looking for insights and if others have had the same issue since my dealership is having trouble finding the issue. Under warranty but still very frustrating!

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
There's lot's of things that can "shut down" the bike while riding. Perhaps some insight as to what it seems or feels like:

Like the kill switch is being activated? Electrics go off too? Or does it seem like it's running out of fuel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's lot's of things that can "shut down" the bike while riding. Perhaps some insight as to what it seems or feels like:

Like the kill switch is being activated? Electrics go off too? Or does it seem like it's running out of fuel?
The electrics are not effected when it shuts down. Tried the kickstand sensor and it works normal. I believe it is something simple but Yes it feels like it runs out of gas. Starter will not activate until the key is cycled off and back on. I work in aircraft so am familiar with troubleshooting issue and have not been able to nail it down. Dealership is closed today so not sure if they found anything out with Kawasaki.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Kill switch has an issue and is being replaced. Mechanic pushed the switch to the side and the bike shut off without the switch being toggled to the off position. New part on order so we will see if the issue is resolved in a few days.

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
Good luck with that. Nobody has any bikes in stock.
The story has a happy ending as the dealer found a faulty kill switch.
But if you gave me the choice of a bike that could leave me stranded anywhere at any time or get my money back, I would take the money and run. You can always find a good used bike if you cannot find a new one to buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is an older thread but I have had the same issue occur on my 22’ Voyager. Thought it was bad gas but pressing around on the start stop switch has the engine going in and out.
My question is for RSpencer. Did the dealer replace the right hand assembly and fix the issue?

·
Registered
732 Posts
On some bikes, it's best to store the bike with the stop switch in the "run" position. On some bikes, they can corrode and not work properly if stored closed. BMW's had a problem with this years ago. :)

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
On some bikes, it's best to store the bike with the stop switch in the "run" position. On some bikes, they can corrode and not work properly if stored closed. BMW's had a problem with this years ago. :)
I did not know that. But I have never used the kill switch to turn any bike off if the bike had an ignition switch. I view the kill switch as for an emergency only and I have never had any issues with my kill switch.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's kind of rear, but if moisture can get in there, and on some bikes, it does, particularly for people who ride in all kinds of weather, it could be a problem. If it corrodes enough, then the bike will corrode to "open" and the bike will not run. I shut my bike off with it, but then turn it back to run, and shut off the ignition. I like to make sure it works.

There is a group of us back in the day that at 70 mph or even more, would sneakup and turn off the "Run/Stop" button on a buddies bike while in motion. The Hydrocarbon backfire when turned back on at the speed is loud. I don't trust anyone I know well enough to do that too anymore. It was a tight knit group that has bown away into the wind. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
I did not know that. But I have never used the kill switch to turn any bike off if the bike had an ignition switch. I view the kill switch as for an emergency only and I have never had any issues with my kill switch.
I have always used the kill switch to turn off every bike I've owned or ridden since the mid-'70s. I have never once had an issue with my kill switch either, even after thousands or maybe tens of thousands of cycles. The problem described in this thread sounds more like a design or fabrication issue than a use issue. These bikes are new! A '21 Voyager in June 2021 and a '22 Voyager in June 2022.

As younger teens riding dirt bikes that were way too big for us, we were taught first and foremost to maintain control of the vehicle, yes even when stopped. To do that often required slowing to a crawl and hopping off just as it came to a stop because feet couldn't reach the ground or maybe you were in 6" of sand and there was no support under your feet. It is so much easier to flip a switch with a thumb than it is to reach around down beside the fuel tank to find the ignition switch while trying to support the bike. So it's a habit I developed and continue to this day 99.99% of the time- once in a while I put the kickstand down while in gear just to make sure that safety switch works. Ride off one time with a kickstand down or have a kickstand return spring come off and you'll quickly learn to check its operation once in a while.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree, problems like this, such as faulty switches that are defective show up in the first batches of new motorcycles, that may have been fixed in revisions of the next batch, but are expected to be fixed when the sold bike exhibits, (if it exhibits) the problem.

Did you know that Mercedes Benz has never had a recall? They call them "Campaigns". I puchased a 1973 450Sl from the original owner. I brought the car's VIN Number to the local Mercedes Dealership. The car had 12 campaigns.. After 25 years, the car was fixed, free of charge and the parts, which were working, by the way, were swapped out for the new "Campaign" model. This is why if you own a Mercedes Benz, it should be taken to the dealership. I know of a guy who fbrought in his 500 SEL in for a tune up, it was under warranty, though it would not have made a difference. When h got home and raised the hood, he did not recognize the engine. Mercedes had changed the intake manifold, and air cleaner, in a "Campaign". If you Mercedes Benz is not caught up on it's campaaigns, the value goes down quite a bit.

Sometimes the defects affect a small percentage of a batch and sloppy, non serialized number parts inventory control means they cannot track which part to which bike. When I worked at Sikorsky Aircraft, every part had a part number, but it also had a unique serial number, and could be tracked to the exact helicopter it was on.

Hard to tell what ended up happening when the original poster does not give closure. Which is why it is so important to do so. IMHO ;)

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
I do test the kill switch and side stand switch every once in a while.

Long before we had a side stand safety switch, I learned the hard way what happens when you forget it down and then try to take a curve at 70 km/hr. I ended up in the ditch with my KZ900. Luckily no injury to me (other than pride) and bike survived it quite well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts