Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we knew it was coming and yesterday we were finally told how deep the cuts were at our campus. A report showed 370 positions lost. 210 of them are filled positions so there goes 210 people from the University. The other 160 positions were positions on the books that will not be filled...they are gone now.

Our Dean met with each department to discuss where cuts were made and who was being let go. The College of Education (where I work) has to cut 2 million (1 million per year) for the next two years. They cut the Sport Management Department completely which means 300 students and about 20 employees. That will be fazed out in the next two years to allow current students to finish up. We support the faculty who work in that department and after hearing that news it was a sad day in our department to say the least.

We (the tech support area) lost one full time position. There are 4 of us who are FTE. Amazingly the Dean met with us in another closed meeting to discuss options and is allowing us time to construct a plan to keep that position and spread the loss between us (if we choose to do so). We the tech support group met later to discuss scenarios on how we could take cuts to try and keep our fellow worker and keep the position open. It'll be an expensive way to do it for us but we would rather keep him than loose him. We have more meetings to attend to work out the details but for now we're all in agreement to take a deep cut so we don't lose him. We'll see.

It was a dark day on our campus. I saw tears in the eyes of those who lost their jobs. One person and friend stopped by to vent and was very nervous about what she will do now. Her husband just went on full medical disabiblity and she has a young son with special needs. She's essentially the bread winner now and is definately feeling the pressure. That was a hard conversation!!! :(

Not all of the details are out so more information will trickle in once various colleges meet with the steering committe...the Deans...and the President and Provost. The new budget begins June 1 so we'll be experiencing more stressed people telling their stories and looking for answers. My fear is that this is only the beginning and there will possibly be another round of layoffs to follow. Time will tell.

I was in shock to learn that we (the tech unit) still had our jobs. While we knew they needed us to support their tech needs we wondered if the main IT department would take us over as there is a push to somewhat centralize IT on campus. I have to give kudos to our Dean who no doubt felt she wanted to keep control of her own IT people and allowed us to survive until another day. Yes...I am grateful to have a job after the fall out of yesterday. After we meet (my co-workers in tech support) decide on what cuts we're willing to give up to save our fellow co-worker we'll each experience about a $10,000 annual cut. While I don't like the idea of losing that much $$$ I am just grateful I still have a job!!!

More to come........

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Wow... that's tough. On the other hand, kudos to all of you taking a cut so your teammate can stay on. A lot of people would never entertain such a notion.

Good on ya!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
man that's tough...glad you are still working...sorry to hear about your colleagues

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah that is awesome that you are working it out for your co-worker, Also glad your dean is giving your dept the option!....

I worke for a tech company in the 2000 telco bust. THey would call 300-400 people to an auditorium and give the speach. Then if you last name starts with a-e go out the far door to the left. HR rep will meet you. Last name f-L use middle door.

Those days were not fun. Never wanted to attend any meeting your supervisor called.

Good luck to you and your co-workers

Robb

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I worke for a tech company in the 2000 telco bust. THey would call 300-400 people to an auditorium and give the speach. Then if you last name starts with a-e go out the far door to the left. HR rep will meet you. Last name f-L use middle door.

Those days were not fun. Never wanted to attend any meeting your supervisor called.
We went through something similar at Gateway a few times. We (the management) would come up behind someone on a call and ask them to put the caller on hold. We'd set a Senior Tech in their place and walk em to the meeting.
Once the first one went, you couldn't walk behind som,eone without them looking at you with those, "Please not me!" eyes.

Those were some ugly days...

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Hey Cary, sorry you have to go through that stress! I'm proud of you and your fellows for compromising to help another...There's a lot to be said for that!! !

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

It's not an easy thing to go through that many of you already know. I'm curious to see what kind of impact the layoffs will have on this small community. Time will tell.

I hope you all are doing ok in your employment. If not I hope things turn around quickly for you!

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Hopefully, these will be the last cuts for you and y'all won't have to go through it again. It sure is nice, though, to see the silver lining in an otherwise nasty situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, well only more can be expected despite the 'spike' on the market. This ain't the '60's. All those roads they plan on making and fixing will use concrete and steel from overseas, so instead of boosting the economy will increase the flow of capital outside the country.

Not the regular sort of discussion on this forum, but it's a downward spiral for the U.S. with the loss of manufacturing, even of basic things like steel, clothing, etc.

And all our "representatives" can parrot is how they support "free trade" and globalization. They haven't represented citizens of the U.S. for some time now and that's not changing.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Cary, glad you and your team were able hang in there. We did something similar at my company, all what's now the usual, from the chairman of the board on down, salary deductions, bonus out, 401k match out. Kathy's hours got cut and changed also..pretty much work these. At least we're working.
I just got back from a week long business trip and while things are slow, it
was good to see signs of small improvement.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully, these will be the last cuts for you and y'all won't have to go through it again. It sure is nice, though, to see the silver lining in an otherwise nasty situation.

No kidding! For those of us still employed we're feeling very fortunate to have our jobs. It's hard to say if and when another cut will happen but my co-workers and I feel there will be another one in the not too distant future.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, well only more can be expected despite the 'spike' on the market. This ain't the '60's. All those roads they plan on making and fixing will use concrete and steel from overseas, so instead of boosting the economy will increase the flow of capital outside the country.

Not the regular sort of discussion on this forum, but it's a downward spiral for the U.S. with the loss of manufacturing, even of basic things like steel, clothing, etc.

And all our "representatives" can parrot is how they support "free trade" and globalization. They haven't represented citizens of the U.S. for some time now and that's not changing.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but after recently watching a movie that describes the intent of the Bilderberg Group I have to wonder where the entire world is heading?

If anyone is interested in watching the video...it's called...Endgame Blueprint For Global Enslavement and can be downloaded HERE by plugging in the title in the search box and following the prompts to download it.

If even part of the video is true...we're in deep trouble! :confused:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cary, glad you and your team were able hang in there. We did something similar at my company, all what's now the usual, from the chairman of the board on down, salary deductions, bonus out, 401k match out. Kathy's hours got cut and changed also..pretty much work these. At least we're working.
I just got back from a week long business trip and while things are slow, it
was good to see signs of small improvement.
Thank you, Bill.

I know you have experienced this before and can remember when you were searching for the job you have now. I'm glad it's going well enough that you can keep working...both you and Kathy.

I'm hopeful that between my other co-workers and myself...and the approval of our Dean we'll be able to help keep our fellow co-worker/friend. We have more meetings to go to and work out the details but we've already begun that process.

Tell Kathy hello from us here and hope this finds you in good spirits and in good health!

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
It's coming at my university too... we shall see.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Not much being said at the college where I work....departmental budget cuts of 50%, faculty has taken a pay freeze, nothing so far for staff like myself. I know something will happen.
Yup, its a very stressful time and I work for a gigantic state university - I can only imagine what the smaller private schools are going through.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much being said at the college where I work....departmental budget cuts of 50%, faculty has taken a pay freeze, nothing so far for staff like myself. I know something will happen.
Yup, its a very stressful time and I work for a gigantic state university - I can only imagine what the smaller private schools are going through.

Not long ago ASU had serious cuts. If memory serves me they cut 500 staff and 200 adjunct faculty. I think their student enrollment is around 60,000 students.

I hope you guys are ok. We've been hearing about our impending/current cuts for some time. I'm not sure what other universities have been or will be affected but it surely will have a ripple affect no matter how many are cut.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wondering if all of this is changing the cost of tuition. Is it up, down or remaining about the same?
We were told that undergraduate students will see a 14% increase in tuition to help absorb the huge state budget cutbacks here.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I was wondering if all of this is changing the cost of tuition. Is it up, down or remaining about the same?
Tuition has gone up and up the past few years.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts