Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase an '04 Mean Streak on june 3rd in Pensacola. I have a long ride back to Salt Lake City and plan on making it to the other side of texas in a day and a half. I need some advice on saddle bags and windshields. I need a basic slant bag that will haul some cloths and gear, so about 13x7x10 at minimum. I'm on a budget so I may go with the throw over bags with stays. Let me know if you have any ideas or think the throw overs are a mistake. As for the windshield, I'm thinking of the memphis big shot ~20" wide just for the ride back. And does anyone have a problem with the stock shifter being too high. I've only sat on one at the dealer, but I felt like I'd have trouble keeping it covered in traffic. The ankle won't last at that position for too long. I might get used to it though. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ended up getting the LeatherLyke bags for my Mean Streak. I particularly like that they lock and that they are easy on/easy off. I've heard reports that people dropped their bikes and the LeatherLyke bags kept the bikes from getting damaged! :D If those are out of the question, my second choice was the TourMaster Cortech "cruiser" cordura slant bags, for price and simplicity. What may also work for you is something I got for a recent long trip, if you don't need gobs of storage space. I got a Tourmaster mini tank bag, which is great for stuff you don't want to leave unattended. I also got a Tourmaster tail bag, which is the only bag I've found that would fit on the so-called passenger seat of my bike without a luggage rack or a sissy bar. It has built-in bunjee cords that will hook to the bunjee hooks on your fender struts. Check out both at the following link:

http://www.tourmaster.com/luggage_bags-html.html?mgiToken=0C15B7C879BC742197#

I have a 17" high Memphis Fats on my bike (I also have a 15" high Memphis Slim which I will use when it gets warmer). If nothing else, it's great not to have all those bugs on my face shield!

I think the shifter position is adjustable - I know the brake pedal is. Check with your dealer about that. I don't have any trouble with mine the way it came - the position seems very natural to me.

BTW, great bike, and hope you have a great ride back to SLC!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The shifter height is definitely adjustable. It will take you all of 5 minutes. You need to pull of the left side peg mounts (two bolts) and the bolt on the shifter. I know this because I had mine off to have it drilled and tapped to accept a Harley style shift peg to match the after market pegs I put on.

Congrats on the new bike....you're gonna love it!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

alta-i went and checked to see if they still had the blue one i told you about
they do! if you call down there- talk to glen :wink:

the name of the place is in the pm i sent you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Alta

I live in SLC and hopefully will be deciding on my green meanie June 6th....so let's hook up and ride.

Take Care and drive safe.

Marc 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
pensacola

I see you are in Pensacola. I am also and ride 04 Streak, ForceWinder air intake, Muzzy Drag Style pipes and TFI. If you're interested in getting together send email - [email protected] or call I'm in the phone book - John Clear

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome john :wink: glad to have you aboard

nice pair of scoots you got there!-would love to get together sometime for a ride
if you get a chance look us up www.southerncruisers.net pensacola chapter #164
we have a great bunch of riders here and we ride ALOT!
there is a couple of meanies and nomads in the group and we would love to have another
one :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, just got back. The ride from Baton Rouge took about two and a half days and was great. The stock seat has to go! I used a bungee cord and some memory foam from a mattress maker shop to save my butt. There are places that cut down your seat and put memory foam in for about $100. I've heard nothing but good things about it. By the way, Hwy 50 in Colorado is a must ride with lots of respectable twisties. For 100 miles on either side of Gunnison, Co. the scenery is awesome. I rode in at dusk and out at 10am. Overnight stay at Long Holiday Motel in Gunnison costs $40 (Cheapest in town) and is one of the more comfortable places I have stayed. Soft sheets, super clean, cable tv, two twin beds and all wood bathroom. It is on the west side of the town just as you leave Gunnison. I spend 100+ days a year skiing in Utah (half backcountry), so you can take my word on the scenery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts