Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new on here and looking for a little help. I have a 220 bayou early one (not a three phase stator). I don't have any spark and when I got it it supposedly had a new cdi box and a new ignition coil. I have good voltage from the source coil, the ohms on the trigger were a little low but it picked up voltage on my multi meter. My question is am I supposed to have a 12v power wire at the box or is it just getting power from the source coil. In other words what is the yellow red wire at the box. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
do you have power at the coil, use a test light and touch each leg of the coil.one will be hot at all times with the key one aand the other should pulse the test light bulb while turning over,if you have power and pulse you have a bad coil.if you have power and no pulse could be a bad pickup.you you have no power at all to the coil check the wireing and the fuse at the starter solnoid and.

does the electric start work? could have a faulty kill switch that could make you lose spark.-corey-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the coil I have a green white that comes from the box and a black yellow that I am assuming is a ground it's not like the the three phase stator machines. I do not have any power at the coil so that is why i was wondering about power at the box. Also ya the electric start works and I will double check the kill switch but when turned in the off position it doesn't turn over.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
black and yellow is 12v power green/ white is pulse , black with yellow trace should be hot when key is turned on and kill switch off.there is a wireing diogram in a older thread posted up by mrgiggles this may help you figure out what is goin on before you fork out cash for a cdi when the issue could be a bad connection ,fuse,or rubbed wire. its best to follow a diogram and rule out all other possabiltys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the wiring diagram I have the black/yellow wire from the coil goes to the taillights, headlights, and the negative terminal of the battery so that is why I assumed it was a ground wire.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i know it sounds and looks that way my bayou had about the same wireing but the coil grounds throught the plug.you should have 2 powers at the coil one at all times with key on and the other other should pulse the test light while turning over test that and post back your finds-corey-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first off thanks 86klf300guy for helpin me out I appreciate it. Now I did some testing and this is what I got. At the coil I do not have any power on either of the wires, The e-start works like it should, the kill switch seems to work like it should, I retested the stator and ohms I had 134 on the red / bl/r which seemed to high, the pickup had 110 which was in spec. VAC on the source coil was 54 but I don't have a peak meter so could be higher. Just wanted to post as much info as possible.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
id be checkin the fuse at the battery and the connections at the cdi no ,if yoo have no power at either wire at the coil look at the wireing doigram and see where the power comes from and test each wire by ohms test and resitance and maybe even a head light buld test to make sure the wire is not broken inside the covering

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Kawasaki bayou 220. I have no power at tge igntion coil. I've checked the fuse at the solinoid relay, it's good. I have power at the cdi on tge yellow wire w red stripe with key on. But no voltage at coil when cranked either. Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts