Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 92 klf-220 Bayou that had been sitting in a barn for three years. I would like to get it running for my 72 yo dad this Christmas and am having these problems.

1. It fires and runs fine when power is applied to the seloniod, starter side. (with the exception I can't get it to idle yet)
2. I have no action what-so-ever when pushing the start button. Not even a selonoid noise.
3. It will not fire when the pull cord is used.

I have changed the oil, spark plug, cleaned the varnish out of the carb and rebuilt it 100%, did a simple flush of the gas tank.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it so I can troubleshoot it further?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Licittesplit,

Welcome to the forum. Still getting used to this new look. What you really need is a Kawi repair manual. They have really good wiring diagrams in them. I have one for both of my Kawis...They aren't cheap, but they are worth their weight in gold.

Again, Welcome and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Heather

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
yep get a SERVICE MANUAL
sounds like the starter solenoid has gone bad on ya if it works fine jumping the terminals.
good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
if nothing happens when you press the starter button, get a new relay. if its been sitting for that long, I would even suggest a new cdi (NOT cheap) and a regulator (under the back seat). My 88 bayou is still being worked on, but i know the regulator was bad, possibly the cdi, maybe the stator coil also...get the book from your kawa dealer, you wont regret it.....juli

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 96 220 and I just rebuilt my starter and put a new used solenoid and my push button start worked for a little while but went out. I thought it was the solenoid but after a friend and I did some test we figured out it was the relay below the solenoid. My neutral light quit coming on and when we put test wires to it the neutral light came on and the starter worked. But as far as the pull rope not getting any fire I'm not sure. I hoped I helped you out a little, good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts