Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 900 Custom that I would like to change up a little. I would love to get the 240 kit, but can't spend the cash. I am thinking I can afford the 230 Avon rear tire, lowering kit, and replacing the rear fender. Has anyone gone this route? I am trying to accomplish a similar look without breaking the bank. I would like to keep my stock seat, and I know the sumo-x fender allows for that, but I am not crazy about the point it comes to on the back.

Anyway, has anyone done a mod similar to this that would care to share the picture? I am just curious as to what I can accomplish without getting the mimic kit. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angliam- there are quite a few threads about the 230 rear tire, but haven't found anyone who has replaced the rear tire with a 230 and replaced the stock rear fender. Please read my original post. Not trying to be an ***, but I have searched the forums many times and haven't found any examples of this.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I'm not positive but you might want to use an after market rim. I put a 200 on the stock rim but that's as big as I would go. I know some people did the 230 but I'm not sure if it was stock.

·
AlohaMark
206 Posts
Have you looked at a bike with a 200 rear tire? A guy in my MC has an HD with a 200 and it looks pretty big. I was thinking about a fat tire upgrade for mine but now I'm thinking of just replacing the stock rear when it wears out with a 200. Wouldn't have to replace the fender either.

·
Registered
240 Posts
From what i have read on this forum. Yes you can just put a 230 on a stock wheel and only remove the belt guard or cut it whichever you prefer then cut the mudguard back. But you can't run the front scootworks pulley with the bigger tire or it will rub the swingarm. As for the pictures when you are searching the 230 on forum i think i might of seen some but am thinking it was via a recommended older post link. I also have been thinking seriously about doin the 230 also but dont see the visual point of dropping a grand on a rear wheel since i got bags on it so cant hardly see the wheel from the side. But from the back it sure will show off that fat a$$ tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea thats kinda where I am at. Don't feel like dropping $2000 for a 240 wheel, tire, and fender if I can get a similar look for sub $1000. I dunno, still kicking it around. I haven't seen a vulcan 900 with a 200, though I have read that many of you have done this. I would be interested in seeing how it would look with a 200 as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So....

The age old 230 debate!!! I'll make this simple as I am mid way through this mod. I stopped only due to my son's birth in July and now I am just getting back to finishing. Talked to a painter yesterday...

A 230 tire will fit on a stock rim. IF you can get a mechanic to put it on. You'll have to cut the inside mud/dirt guard and belt guard. I also would be concerned about traveling on long trips with a 230 but thats me. If it is on a A M rim I'd feel better about it.

The rear fender can come off easy and you can get a fender from a number of places. measure the distance between the struts and get a close fit. I used a harley rear and trimmed it down.

You'll need to figure out a decent light situation for turns and brake/running I used side mount that is now illegal in PA but what th heck. If they pull me over I'll fix it. It's very visible to cagers though

That's it! Have at it and start buying tools now!!:-D

BDV

·
'08 900 custom
739 Posts
You could just buy my rear rim and tire set up!! Its already got an Avon 200/70-15 on it and the rim is powder coated black. I got a mimic 210 wheel from Trashmann.

·
Maine vulcan rider
686 Posts
I have been toying with the Idea also I have a avon 200 and love it but my desire for a really phat rear tire exceeds my ability to pay for it.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
IMO, for what it's worth, the 200 is as big as you should go on a stock rim simply from an aesthetics point of view. It does look nice from the back, but from the side it looks like a bubble about to pop. I have a 200 on my 900 Classic and it fills the wheel well nicely, IMO. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I just called my local stealership to check prices on a 200...they have an Avon Venom 200/70H15 for $329! Holy cow...don't want to spend that either. For those that have mounted the 200, did you still have to trim the belt guard and mudflap? (hijacking my own thread, sorry!)

·
Maine vulcan rider
686 Posts
I trimed mine just to be safe but I have the Avon which is a little taller. I could only lower it 1 inch. When I tried the 2 inch setting I bottomed out a lot. The mud guard is absolutly necessary to trim. I paid $218 for my tire and $25.00 for mounting at a local shop.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Yea I just called my local stealership to check prices on a 200...they have an Avon Venom 200/70H15 for $329! Holy cow...don't want to spend that either. For those that have mounted the 200, did you still have to trim the belt guard and mudflap? (hijacking my own thread, sorry!)
Not sure about the Custom, pretty sure it's the same as the Classic, but I didn't have to trim anything with the 200. I got a Metzeler 200 for 210 from Biker's Den. That includes shipping.

·
soft drinks & stiff women
694 Posts
Angliam- there are quite a few threads about the 230 rear tire, but haven't found anyone who has replaced the rear tire with a 230 and replaced the stock rear fender. Please read my original post. Not trying to be an ***, but I have searched the forums many times and haven't found any examples of this.
My point being, there are quite a few threads about the 230 and quite a few threads about replacing the rear fender. Most of those rear fender replacements also involve a wider rear tire (such as the 240, a very similar size). You're not always going to find an EXACT answer to your personalized question, but there should be enough info out there to make an educated decision based off combining ideas. This is exactly why this thread turned into a 230/stock rim debate and not answering your initial question.

IMO, for what it's worth, the 200 is as big as you should go on a stock rim simply from an aesthetics point of view. It does look nice from the back, but from the side it looks like a bubble about to pop. I have a 200 on my 900 Classic and it fills the wheel well nicely, IMO. Just throwing it out there.
I'm getting a Avon 230, but I'm Tsukayu Patrol bags on the side, so the only visible part of the tire will be the back! ;)

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I'm getting a Avon 230, but I'm Tsukayu Patrol bags on the side, so the only visible part of the tire will be the back! ;)
That will help. I do really like the way it looks from the back. Even though I don't like the look from the sides, I'd be too paranoid with it on there. But I'm a worry wart anyways. :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts