Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a brand new 2009 ninja 250 about a month ago, at which point i put about 100 miles on it. Since then, I went back to school and it's been sitting in my garage for the past month. Now that its thanksgiving break (Happy thanksgiving everyone! =), I came back from school to go back home and try to ride it one last time before winter hits. I did everything that was asked for winter storage preparation prior to thanksgiving break (hooked up the battery to a charger, filled the gas tank, put in Stabil), but when I went to start it today...it wouldn't start. The engine would try to start up at around 1000 rpm, but then it would just die out. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I really hope it's not the bike...considering its new and barely been used...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you run it after adding the Stabil to get it down into the carbs? Only a month on a new bike seems quick for carb gum up? My bike gathers no moss, so not sure on that. Stabil says untreated fuel starts to degrade in 2 weeks.

Are you getting spark? Might try some Seafoam. It is a WONDER drug :)

Brian

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1 on pulling the plugs. Always need to pull plug and check to see if wet or not. If not wet then leave choke on and try again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my neighbor to finally start up my bike after about 50 tries or so. What he did was play with the choke and just kept trying to start it continuously, which I didn't do since the manaul said you should wait 15 seconds inbetween. Don't think that was any good for the battery...but once we got it started up, he played with the choke, throttle, and idle knob until it got running ok which took like 10 mins. It was a cold day, and he kept revving it to get the gas flowing i guess, but I heard revving it isn't exactly good for the bike either? I'm not exactly a bike expert, so i wouldn't even know how to pull the plugs or even know where its located. I did make sure the fuel switch was on before. I guess since it's new and since it was pretty cold out, it struggled to get started. I just hope it gets better as time goes along because if this keeps happening, riding will become a chore rather than a fun experience...

·
Registered
2 Posts
revving a bike in cold conditions is bad for it, idk much about ninjas but it will probabaly expand the block/jug/sleeve too fast and cause it to crack. becareful revving in cold conditions. keep as low as you can ;p

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like you still have some underlying problem and my experience is this sort of thing does not go away on it's own. Turning it over that long can overheat the starter and it is not good on the engine to rev cold. Can lead to seizing it up. With the choke on, not touching the throttle, it should not take more than a couple of tries to get it running, even in the cold. I start my 500 on 16 degree mornings, and it makes very little difference in starting it.

Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry folks - I have to chime in here. He just bought a BRAND NEW bike from a DEALER. Call the dealer, tell him it won't start, come and get it and either fix it under my warranty or give me a new one. 100 miles on a brand new bike, even sitting for a month, when you put the tender, you put the Stabil - you shouldnt have to do anything else.

You pay for new, you have the right to expect perfect, and you paid for that warranty protection in the price. Before messing around and possibly voiding your protection, I'd work the phone or visit the dealer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd give it a goodly swig of Seafoam. Cheap and there is at least a possibility that may unclug him.

Brian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...I like that idea of taking it to the dealer and seeing if they can determine the problem and fix it since it's still under warranty, especially after what it went through today just to get started. I'll have to find a way to get it to the dealer during winter break since I don't plan on riding it again til springtime. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stand by your guns. My experience with dealer service has generally been rather negative.

Brian

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
First off, take it out and ride it for a little bit, weather permitting. If you just put in the Sta-Bil, then it isn't worked down into the carbs yet. Even if you ran it for a few minutes, you would be surprised how long it takes to actually burn the gas already in the carbs and get the new treated gas into them. I have idled my bike for about 15 minutes before with the petcock turned off to drain the carbs (yeah, I know... drain plugs), and have ridden a mile or two before realizing I forgot to turn the valve on. Getting a few miles on the bike will get the new treated gas into the carbs and help protect them. Also, get some Seafoam. Not only will it help keep the gas fresh, it will clean up any gunk that has built up inside the carbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This exact thing happened to me. This is what I did. Basically my bike wouldn't turn. It wasn't getting gas. First thing I did was drain the gas and refill it. When a bike has been sitting for a while the gas goes bad. You can usually tell because it has a different smell to it. Next which was most important was I had to clean both my carbs. They were filthy and clogged which tends to happen after its been sitting. This was my main problem. My bike ran much better and idled correctly. My bike had been sitting for 2 years. Its been running well for a few weeks but gasoline backed up into my oil again...I need to clean my carbs again.... planning on doing it next weekend.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
First off, take it out and ride it for a little bit, weather permitting. If you just put in the Sta-Bil, then it isn't worked down into the carbs yet. Even if you ran it for a few minutes, you would be surprised how long it takes to actually burn the gas already in the carbs and get the new treated gas into them. I have idled my bike for about 15 minutes before with the petcock turned off to drain the carbs (yeah, I know... drain plugs), and have ridden a mile or two before realizing I forgot to turn the valve on. Getting a few miles on the bike will get the new treated gas into the carbs and help protect them. Also, get some Seafoam. Not only will it help keep the gas fresh, it will clean up any gunk that has built up inside the carbs.
Very true. I can run my bike for quite a while without the fuel on since it sips so little fuel from those 4 carbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts