Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
250 ninja help!!! got a vid now

i just got a 250 ninja frim a firend of mine for $100, but it has a problem only one cylinder seems to be running. we thought that it was the coil and we tested it it was throwing a spark every 4sec so we replaced it with the new one and still the same thing. the prob started when he rode the bike under choke for like 5 miles ever since than bike did not run the same. i checked oli and it looks like it has gasoline in it it's 2 watery. can anyone help me with this? when the bile runs it idels high but it barely moves and than sometimes goes normal for like 10 sec and its back to 10 mph at full throtle.

tanx

here is the vid http://209.245.59.179/Gimme/3547633...F5-8898-0E5D8BB09C7B/0.0611608/2/S3010089.AVI

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
86ninja250,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum....you came to the right place for answers. There are a lot of GREAT people up here and a lot of mechanical expertise tooooo. Have learned alot since joining up.

Send us a pic of you and your bike!!!!!

Hang in there...someone will be up to reply to your question before the day is out.

Heather

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
86ninja250,

What was the condition of the motorcyle before you took it? Was it running? Is the gas old (more than a month)

What are the conditon of the spark plugs?

I would:

1. Inspect the gas tank for rust - if ok go to next step. If you have rust clean it out with Yamaha tank cleaner or Kreem.

2. Dump the fuel and get fresh gas in the tank.

3. Put new spark plugs in.

4. Dump your oil and coolant. You will also need to do the same with your
brake fluid and clutch fluid.

5. Take your carbs off the bike and clean them. Pay special attention to
your main jets and that your carb diaphrams are getting a good seal.

6. Get a new air filter and check for air leaks from the airbox.

Your funky idle problem is probably due to a clogged carb and once cleaned well should go away. If gas continues to flow into the oil you may possibly have a stuck float in your carb and either have to clean the pilot well or rebuild/replace it.

if the choke was left on too long I suspect that your plugs will be fouled up and giving you a hard time. Pull them and describe what they look like.

·
Registered
237 Posts
whats up dude, since its an inline twin the bike probably wouldnt run on only one cylinder. the 250 is pretty simple little bike i have one, usually just a fuel delivery problem, a spark problem or number three is a motor problem could be something simple like valves. the top end of the 250s are sloppy and burn up fast b/c of the 14k rpm redline. also how many miles does it have those little 250s are only good for about 25k.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
put new PLUGS in it to start with. sounds like he fouled a plug cause of the choke. make sure it had GOOD gas and change the oil/filter before riding/running anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i already changed the plugs, but the tank had some rust in it, im taking off the carbs today and cleaning them. bike is a 86, 250, with 5000 miles, and when it runs it only runs on one cylinder cause other one does not work at all but sometimes kicks in, and in order for the bike to run it has to be under the choke the whole time as soon as u take the choke off it shuts off. from talking to people everyone seems to thik it is the carb. if anyone else has any idea of what could it be post it.

tanx for all of your help

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Plan B is make sure you are getting spark to both cylinders, but its sounds like its not getting gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
today i cleaned the carbs, one jet was clogged up and i took care of it. im now geting sparks in both cylinders, but still the bike will not go over 10mph,
when its runing it makes a really bad clicking noise like when the valves are bad on a car. ill try to record the sound tomorow and post it, one of my friends thinks it might be the lifter, ill look into that tomorow. and also now when i hit wot the bike seems to stall and than goes and does that all the time if i go wot.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
no lifters in our bikes (car type lifters that is) and sounds like you mis-assembled something when you put it back together. go back over everything you took apart and make sure its correctly put together.
good luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check your idle setting. It may be too low. There is a flower looking black knob on the left side that you can adjust. Set it around 1500 to 2K rpm. for now set it to 2k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i already tried that it doesn't help anything, i recorded how the bike runs and that klicking noise is not supose to be there also when o turn the throtle it starts to choke out, im thinking i might have a valve stuck. i'll try to take the engine apart tomorow and see what could be wrong.

·
Registered
237 Posts
that video looks like its a carbeuration problem, bc thats the way my 250 sounds with the choke on, but it shouldnt die when you try to give it gas. Sounds like both cylenders re going though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys my name is matthew and i have recently recieved a ninja 250. it is in beautiful conditionwith a few problems. the bike had fallen before i got it so the right handle bar is broken. also it wont start. the previous owner said that when he last tried to start it, it would begin to turn but not completely fire over. he was told it might be the starter or the crank. have any of you had this problem? also would the handle bar from an 87 ninja fit? thank you much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts