Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My girlfriend has a 250 ninja that she has not ridden for ten months. The bike was not put away then. It has a half tank of gas, no stabilizer, the battery was left hooked up, and the fuel on. I looked at bike last night battery is dead (hey I thought i would try), fuel smells real old.

What should I do before I try to start it. Do I need to take the battery out and fully charge it, or can I just put the charger on it for awhile and jump it and let the bike charge it? Can I just use a regular 12v jump box for a car? will that put too much juice through it?
Should I try to start the thing and see if I can run the old fuel through with some fuel system cleaner, or should I drain the tank before I even try to start it?
Could I gum things up any worse by trying to run it now versus taking the carbs off and cleaning them right away.

Help please

J.C.S

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine sat for about 2 months indoors and started right up after I tapped the inline fuel filter a couple times. In the two days since then it has started immediately every time.

I have no experience with recovering from a 10 month hiatus, however. I would imagine you'll want to expell the fuel, especially if the temps and humidity where the bike was stored varied. If the carbs were clean when it stopped running, they should still be clean I imagine. Maybe run some carb cleaner additive in your first new tank of gas. Buy a new battery...safe bet.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can try and see if the battery can be saved by filling it up and putting it on a battery tender, but it may just be gone..... I would do it overnight and try it the next day.

As far as the fuel is concerned I would dump it as it may just cause hard starting until gone. The carbs may or may not be gummed up.

I would dump the gas, oil and filter - coolant can last two years ok although I just change mine every year.

Fire her up....

I didn't mention plugs - bike probably ran when put away so more than likely ok there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
sorry for the late reply, but you might want to put a squirt of oil into the cylinders through the spark plug hole so there is some oil at the top of the engine before you fire her up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts