• 500ex

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i have been deciding to buy either a kawi 250EX/R or a 500 ex/ R. Im 17 and have already took and passed the MSF, which i recommend to anyone. But, i'm not sure of how comfortable i will be b/c im 5'7" and 145 lbs. I rode a 250 nighthawk for the MSF and had no problems touching ground. I dont plan on buying a zx6r b/c of the cost of the bike, power, and insurance. Also what do you guys recomend for gear? Also is there a difference between the EX and R models?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would recommend going to look at the bikes and sit on them, see whats comfortable to you. If the 500 is comfortable I would go with that, I just got one for my 1st bike and I absolutely love it. It has good power (certainly enough to get me in trouble in a hurry if I'm not paying attention) but definitley manageable. As far as the difference between the r and the ex I believe they're the same, but I could be wrong...anyone?

·
Registered
456 Posts
For differences between the 250 and 500, read some old posts. There's plenty of them. I think the 250R is exactly the same thing as the EX250. In other countries it goes by other names, like the GPX 250 in Australia. I think the Ninja 250 has a ton more kick than the Nighthawk. The 500 has even more.

As for gear, get yourself a good helmet. That's as important as all the other gear combined. Most motorcycle deaths are due to head injuries. Then leather and/or armor is important to protect your skin. I hear that skin grafts are no fun. If you've ever fallen off a bicycle, you know gloves are important. And most guys will tell you that boots are important, too.

Curt

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
pmes17 said:
recently i have been deciding to buy either a kawi 250EX/R or a 500 ex/ R. Im 17 and have already took and passed the MSF, which i recommend to anyone. But, i'm not sure of how comfortable i will be b/c im 5'7" and 145 lbs. I rode a 250 nighthawk for the MSF and had no problems touching ground. I dont plan on buying a zx6r b/c of the cost of the bike, power, and insurance. Also what do you guys recomend for gear? Also is there a difference between the EX and R models?

My last bike was a Nighthawk 750. I now own a 500R. Big difference between the 2. I'd take the 500R anyday. It can out accel, out manuver, and out distance on a tank of gas my old Nighthawk.

The difference you see between the EX500 and the 500R I really don't know since I don't know the history that well. If you look at my '02 500R The bike says 500R all over it and in the manual, but the Title says EX500D9 for the model.

I'd say don't worry about the 500R or the 250R height wise too much, I'm in the same "boat" being only 5'7" and 190 lbs myself. But, being able to touch has to do a lot with your leg length, which is different between everyone. I have a 30" inseem, so touching the ground comfortably is no prob, the 500R seat height is only 30.5".

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
rlovrin1 said:
The difference you see between the EX500 and the 500R I really don't know since I don't know the history that well. If you look at my '02 500R The bike says 500R all over it and in the manual, but the Title says EX500D9 for the model.
EX500 is actually the 87-94 year model ones, 95+ is EX500D or 500R. but other than body panels its all interchangeable. I know the redesign only did some cosmetic things and adding 17" rims and disk breaks in the back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not be nit-picky but the change happened with the '94 model. The changes included: new name (Ninja 500R instead of just EX500), new fairings, digital electronic ignition, revised 2nd & 3rd gears, 1mm thicker forks, 17" wheels, front and rear disc brakes (the front disc also changed from the left side of the bike to the right with the rim size change), and I think the sprocket got one less tooth also. The model designation changed to EX500D for the U.S. and Canada models, which were named on the bikes as Ninja 500R, and changed to EX500E for the U.K. and Sweden models, which were named on the bikes as GPZ 500S.

Note about the GPZ models: they have dual front discs instead of just the single front like the U.S./Canada models. Yeah, why do we get shortchanged?

Note about the lighting system: As I understand it the Ninja 500s also got a 4 way flasher (hazard) with the update in '94, but on my '04 model the hazards don't exist. I think they removed them recently. I know the '03s don't have hazards either. Anyone know anything about this?

Now for the response to the original poster: If you are 17 I would truly suggest getting a car first and learning how to drive it well. Jumping on a bike when you haven't exactly learned the nuances of traffic can be very dangerous. You should focus on just getting used to being on the road instead of having to add all the extra problems of learning how to pilot a motorcycle safely and correctly. Do this for a couple of years and then get a bike, at which point I would suggest the EX500 (Ninja 500). If you just have to get a bike now I would suggest getting the Ninja 250. It is a tamer bike to learn on as well as cheaper, not only in price but on insurance also. Take care of that lil' Ninja and you can probably sell it close to what you bought it for after riding it a couple of years (provided you don't buy brand new).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have had my license for almost 2 years, and been drving a car for about 3 years, and i also have rode many bikes, atv's offroad. Ive also learned to handle a 67 mustang that has a good amount of power. So its prolly a better choice to go 94 and up?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
pmes17 said:
i have had my license for almost 2 years, and been drving a car for about 3 years, and i also have rode many bikes, atv's offroad. Ive also learned to handle a 67 mustang that has a good amount of power. So its prolly a better choice to go 94 and up?
yes, go with a 94+, should be very easy to find one at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
HAHAHA. I was in a spot where I wanted hazard lights the other day. I stood there for a good 10 minutes going "I KNOW the friggin button is here somewhere."

Wonder why they took the hazard light function off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yea go for it

i definetaly think you shold go for the ninja 500r. ive got one in the garage and i love it, its light enuogh to handle, and powerful enough to get you out of tight spots easily (or just have fun 8) )

one thing that you should think abou though is waitin until youre 16 to get the bike simply becuase of insurance. im 17 too and im paying about $900 a year for it, and when my brother had it before me (he was 18 at the time) he only paid $300 a year....big difference.

the 87 to 93 models used points ignitions (ok), in 94 they changed to CDI (capacator discharge ignition) and added an anti theft feature to the ignition system that kept the cdi from sending a spark if the ignition switch was bypassed. they also changed the body style a bit, wheels and gears, etc... in 2000 (i think) they went to a digital throttle position sensor and TCBI with digital advance ignition system (i forget what it stands for) and such.

These bikes are great. We had one that had over 320,000 miles on it (we love our motorcycles) that we took off the frame and sold becuase my bro got a '98 with a bent frame for free (only 231 miles, can you beleive it??!??) and that '94 NEVER had a tune up from us (lol, oops)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
250/500 MY FAVORITE DEBATE

ZX-2R...First of all there are a lot of areas that we don't know about...I ALMOST always go the 250 ROUTE though! ASK the FOURM!!! Are you just commuting around town maybe a weekend trip or two? do you normally cruise in speeds in excess of 100MPH? Do you have lots of money for maintenance and insurance? Do you do two up riding, or wiill 90% of it be just you? there are to many questions to ask...and for you to answer...BUT, IF you are satisfied with a test ride on a NINJA 250R (EX250) then go for it! 70MPG is nice, insurance payments are nice, it will still go way over the Maximum speed LIMIT...it's cheaper to buy, and you'll probably get most of your money back IF you ever decide to sell it...and they sell lots of aftermarket parts for the 250 as well. the 250 is 84 pounds lighter...if you are interested in Physics...even having 16" vs 17" wheels is a neat Physics (Moment of Inertia) lesson...IF you need to go really fast the 500 is faster, but the 600 is faster yet and the 1000...WOW! The 250 is a great bike, IF it fits then buy it...do your homework like insurance cost...but before you ride anything get a GREAT helmet a good pair of boots (even military boots), either a leather jacket of something of equal shreading, and a must is a good FULL fingered pair of gloves...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm still riding my first bike EX500 and I have to say I'm glad I chose this bike over the 250. I feel that if I had the 250 I would've by now felt that I had outgrown it. I feel perfectly happy with the 500 right now, and I think it's the best route to go. Go 500, you'll be very pleased!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BEGINNER

Before you decide upon any bike just like a car you should drive, in this case ride one. Just like a 4 cylinder 1.6L vs. 3.0L you will find that the 500cc has more power over the 250cc but compare the power over wieght and you will find that the numbers aren't that far apart. The 250 doesn't have the bottom end power that the 500 does, not even close. Don't be afraid of the 14,000 RPM Redline on the 250, but definately feel the rush of power from 9,000 to 13,500 RPM before you decide and do your homework on insurance with the agent before you make a deposit on a bike. I have to go back to what your purpose of the bike is and how you are going to be using it. Probably one of the most important things that I have failed to mention is which one fits the best when you ride it. the 250 is like 84 pounds lighter, so it's easier to maneuver in parking lots and in really tight spots...ride them and what ever you do get back on line with questions and a picture of yor bike!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts