Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , I have done research and heard views from both sides of the fence. I am very set on getting a ninja. Nothing will change that right now. Now the question is weather or not I get a 250 or 500. could you guys give me some insight on pros and cons for each , and give me your personal opinions on each. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
If you're gonna do any extended highway speeds ,then you might wanna weight in more heavily for the 500... thats the only thing I can think of :p I personally like both bikes, and this was my deciding factor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JTpaintball70 said:
If you're gonna do any extended highway speeds ,then you might wanna weight in more heavily for the 500... thats the only thing I can think of :p I personally like both bikes, and this was my deciding factor

thanks JT , I appreciate it very much. I do not plan on doing much highway traveling as of yet since my permit doesnt allow it , but I will in the future. My uncles/friends/local sport bike store owner suggested a 500cc. He said that it isnt overly or too much more power full then the 250 and the transition to a 600 in a few years would be easier. It makes alot of sense. I wont be on the highways that much for the first 6 months or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first bike was a 250r, and then I recently bought a 2005 500r. I found that both bikes were wonderful. I took the 250 through a long tip in Florida, and it performed well beyond my expectations. Although the 250 hovered around 9500 rpms at 70/75 mph, it didn't complain one bit. It was after that trip that I decided to sell it and buy the 500, mainly because I'm planning on a trip to Nova Scotia, and wanted a larger bike for the long trip. The rpms on the 250 do very well and don't complain, but they are somewhat restrictive: especially during the (very painful) breakin, during which you can't really go above 35/40... I find that the 500 has MUCH more power, is larger, and (to me) a little better handling. Both the bikes have plenty enough power to outrun all those little sportscars/ricers you see (both can outrun pretty much any ricer, and the boxter; after that the 250 has problems). They both have very comfortable seats/riding positions, although I opted for rearsets/clipons on my 500. Overall I think you'd be happy with either bike; if it's your first, you might like the forgiving nature of the 250 more, and you really won't notice its lack in power until you ride another bike. I love my 500 to death, but probably more so because I had the 250 first, and learned to ride. [If you don't have the power, the best way to keep up is to corner better than everyone else!] You'll be happy either way, in the end it's just what feels right for you! (and the wallet!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seeing as it's going to be your first bike, i would go with the 250 and definately take the msf. The 500r is still a difference of about 40 mph at the top end and too powerful for a first time. I started on a Honda 250 nighthawk and moved onto the ninja when i could afford it (about a year later).

just buy a used 250, it will be sufficient, and easy to maintain.

in the end though, the decision lies in your hands.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
On the cost factor the Ninja 250 wins hands down. Insurance, purchase price and Mpg.

Highway riding would be a small setback that can be alleviated by using a larger front sprocket. The rev range goes well into the 13000 range on the 250. I highly recommend changing the front sprocket as it only costs about 16.00.

As a first time rider I like the 250 because it is light and more forgiving then a larger displacement motorcycle. It will give you the chance to hone your motorcycle skills and still be plenty of fun to ride. I use my 250 for canyon rides and short around town stuff and of course as the extra bike my friends ride if they don't have one to use. My typical commute ride is 80 miles round trip at about 70 - 85 mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a Ninja 500 for my first bike because of all the highways here in DFW. It's been quite good to me. Just don't ride like a maniac and it won't be too much power for a beginner. I know the bike can outdo a corvette between traffic lights, but I have never felt the need to try.

I am not sure if I can completely justify the price differenential between the 500 and the 250, but they are both good bikes. Insurance is relatively cheap (although, I am female) compared to a 600.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get the 500, it has good power, but not too much for a beginner. I've known people who got the 250 and were tired of it after a season.

·
Registered
512 Posts
500 was the first bike i ever rode on and it to me is a good beginner bike.

my 2 cents.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
The 500R is a really nice bike. I've enjoyed mine a lot, took me about 4 years before I started to decide to go bigger. The insurance isn't too bad on it, I pay $95 a year for basic liability. IT also can get great gas milage. Last summer on a day trip I averaged out 65mpg.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have to say the 500 only because after riding my 500 and trying my buddies 250 it felt really to slow and weak.

just something for you to think about. While taking my couse, one of the trainners (male age 47) told how he has been riding his 500 for over 10 years now and wouldn't get ride of it for nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2000 Ninja 500R night now and I sold my 2003 Ninja 250R last year. Definitely, go for a 500. By the way I'm selling my 500R. Since I got a Vulcan 750, I don't have enough time riding with the ninja 500 anymore.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I just got my 500r (first bike) and have been riding a couple months. For what it's worth I think it's got enough bite to take 80% of cars off the line and nimble enough to rail through the twisties. And I think it's a pretty forgiving bike IMO when you make those inevitable n00bie mistakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How big are you? I'm 6' 250 and i'm outgrowing my 500 REAL quick. It is not too big for first timers. ANy bike will work as long as they have a level headed rider. With how my 500 performs i think if i were to do it all over again i would probably go with a suzuki sv650. It has just so much more room to grow with, i know a 125lb girl starting on one and shes doing just fine. So i would look into that unless you have no problem dumping the 500 off real quick and taking a big hit on it (thats why i haven't sold mine yet).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 250, and though i LOVE it, the 500R is hard to beat. I've spoken to people, and read a lot about the 500. I am part of the ninja250.net group, and have had a 2003 since Sept of 2002.
Since buying a Concours in 2003, I rarely ride the 250. I think a 500R would still offer more low-mid range punch, which is the only thing the 250 lacks, IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts