Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone convert those unused corner sockets into turn signals? I went to the auto parts store and bought two single connector sockets of approximate size and two 1037 bulbs. Found out it needs a 2-wire hookup and the sockets wouldnt fit snug. Doh! Then I find out the previous owner hadn't secured the wiring back there when he removed the original fender pod and they must have drooped and been eaten up by the tire so now some of them are shreded. I can trace back far enough to get a good cable but this makes it a little harder to figure out which wire does what.

So how does everyone else do it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My suggestion is to get the book for your bike. It will tell you what wire is what. That should make it loads easier for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curt - thanks for the info. I had actually been to the site before. Any chance you have a brand/part no. for those trailer lights? I can't seem to find a socket that'll fit in the hole snugly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine didn't fit snugly either. Some people use epoxy or JB Weld or something to get them to fit right. If I remember correctly, my new lights had a little bar sticking out of each socket where they connected to the trailer light housing, so after I took the trailer lights apart, I drilled a hole in the Ninja's silvery reflective housing next to where the new light would go, then put a bolt through it to hold them together.

You could also take your tail light assembly to Autozone. I think I remember someone telling me that they have a socket that will fit the hole without modifications.

Your next big decision is how to use the lights. I used trailer tail lights, so I had dual filament bulbs to work with. On a trailer the bright one is brake/turn, and the dim one is running lights. I wanted the bright one for the turn signal. So the dim one could have been connected to either brake or running light. I decided to go for brake. I figure that if I'm worried about someone running into me from behind, it's probaby when I have my brake on. Otherwise they wouldn't be going faster than me.

In thinking about it now, I could have set up a system to use it more like trailer lights, so the bright light is for turn and brake, and the dim light is for running lights. That would require 4 transistors, and would be pretty easy to connect. I might make that change someday.

I've also played with the idea of adding additional LED's back there.

So if your rear fender is gone, and your wires are hanging down, that means that if you take off you seat, you can see the tire, right? I really like having a little storage room back there. I keep a set of bungee cords and a net there, and sometimes I transport a thing or two in there (little stuff, of course). Now that I have saddlebags, I'm not dying for storage room, but still I only put the saddlebags on if I think I'll need them.
Curt

·
Registered
182 Posts
Curt said:
Now that I have saddlebags, I'm not dying for storage room, but still I only put the saddlebags on if I think I'll need them.
Curt
I need clarification, is that saddle bags or saddle pods? I know it sounds like a funny question, but if you really have saddle bags can I see a picture, cause I dislike the pods they sell for our bike. I would like to have something that looks nicer ya know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey again Curt. Thanks for the details. I played with the idea of using some sort of adhesive to keep the sockets in place. I still need to return the single-wire sockets and bulbs I bought. At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Curt said:
So if your rear fender is gone, and your wires are hanging down, that means that if you take off you seat, you can see the tire, right? I really like having a little storage room back there. I keep a set of bungee cords and a net there, and sometimes I transport a thing or two in there (little stuff, of course). Now that I have saddlebags, I'm not dying for storage room, but still I only put the saddlebags on if I think I'll need them.
Yep the fender is gone. I never had the chance to save it. You can imagine the under side of the seat is filthy (though I cleaned it good now). I thought about making a custom fiberglass insert for under there. Much cheaper than buying a new fender and hacking parts off it anyway.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Imposter said:
I need clarification, is that saddle bags or saddle pods? I know it sounds like a funny question, but if you really have saddle bags can I see a picture, cause I dislike the pods they sell for our bike. I would like to have something that looks nicer ya know.
I'm not really sure I'm using the right words, and I don't even know what saddle pods are or what the difference is. What I have is tough cloth bags (they feel like Cordura nylon to me). They lay across the rear seat, and strap onto the license plate light and the rear foot pegs. The second pic at my web site shows them on the bike. They say Yamaha in small letters on the side, but I'm not holding a grudge about that. The height is adjustable, but I have to set it pretty high so it will clear my mufflers. Someday I may lower those mufflers, but that's another story. Originally the bags had a plastic liner that held them open, but since I have the bags up so high, the bags stuck out like the flying nun. Now that I took out the liner, it's a great fit. But the bags lay right on where the old turn signals were, and that's why I removed the turn signals and put lights in the empty pods by the brake light. Now the bags fit great.

They are pretty small compared to some saddlebags, but they hold plenty for me. Someday I may want a trunk and bigger saddlebags, but these are fine for now.

So what are saddle pods? I didn't know anything was made for the 250.
Curt

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dave 96TA said:
Yep the fender is gone. I never had the chance to save it. You can imagine the under side of the seat is filthy (though I cleaned it good now). I thought about making a custom fiberglass insert for under there. Much cheaper than buying a new fender and hacking parts off it anyway.
I would have thought of fabricating a sheet of aluminum, but fiberglass should be great. If you're looking for a cheap fender, I'll bet you can find a used one. Plenty of people wreck these bikes, and crack the farings or bend the forks, so the bike costs more to repair than it's worth. That means cheap used parts for you. Try Ebay or that junkyard that ZX-2R is always talking about.
Curt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts