Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Not sure if anybody saw my newbie post but I'm planning on picking up a bike in spring 05'. I can't decide between the Ninja 250r or the Eliminator 125. I am a total newbie and the only time I've ridden a bike, I launched it out from underneath me and into my buddy's deck. Help me decide which bike. and btw. I'm taking a rider training course before I get one.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would go atleast a 250, if not the 500. Ive been on several bikes and Im somewhat a newbie (never owned one). Ive been on my brothers 500ex when he had it, it was pretty light and easy to handle, Ive been on his zx11, which is a ton of bike, Ive been on a couple 600s, which were kinda a trick, but my first actual bike Im buying is a zx7, but I rode it some, not much diff to me than a 6. But anyway, Id go 250 or 500

·
Registered
15 Posts
Firebird,
The Ninja 250r would not be a bad bike. I would definitely recommend starting on it. I started on a GZ-250 (Suzuki Cruiser) and then moved up to a Ninja 500r. I am currently riding the 250 again due to a broken clutch cable on the 500. One of the things that I am amazed with going back to the smaller bike is that it has been a lot of fun to ride. I found my self taking turns at much steeper angles than I used to on the 250 and even leaning further over than on the 500 (Still learning how the 500 handles and don't want to push it till I get new tires). The 250 is just so light and easy to lean over that it makes it very fun to drive. The only issue that I had with the GZ-250 is that it was unable to drive above 65 MPH and the speed limit here in Texas is 70. I have heard that the Ninja 250r does not have this problem. I would recommend staying away from the eliminator because it is just so small of a bike, but I think that the 250r would be a great bike to begin with. There is also the Vulcan 500 or the Ninja 500r that you might want to take a look at. The great think about the Ninja 250r and 500r is that their resell is very good. You could buy one of these used right now and turn around and sell it again after a year or two and get the same amount of money you put into it. When I was looking on Cycle trader for my 500 there were only 4 for sale in the entire US because they are sold so quickly. If you have any questions about some of these bikes, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ZZX. I was actually orginally looking at the 500r but one of my friends said it was too dangerous cause of the big cc's. I think at this point I'll go with the 250r. Sounds like a great bike from what everybody here is saying. I want to keep the cc's low right now for insurance reasons. Thanks to everybody that replied and I urge anybody that still wants to give an opinion to post. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've had a Ninja 600r, Gsxr-750, Ninja 900 and now added a Ninja 250.

The 250 is a blast and as is lightweight, but still has plenty of power to get up and go. The naysayers just don't know how to ride it to keep it in its powerband......

If it were me...I'd get the Ninja 250

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies everybody! I think I've pretty much made up my mind. Any further replies are apprieciated as well

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ever think about getting a used bike? They can be found for cheap, and if you have the unfortunate crash or tip over, it's not like you just trashed a new machine. Plus, as you mentioned, insurance is low for a small cc' older bike. You also get a wider variety of bike to choose from to practice on, and it's a great way to learn the basics of bike maintenance, as older models are usually simpler than new ones when it comes to doing oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dmcinerney said:
Ever think about getting a used bike? They can be found for cheap, and if you have the unfortunate crash or tip over, it's not like you just trashed a new machine. Plus, as you mentioned, insurance is low for a small cc' older bike. You also get a wider variety of bike to choose from to practice on, and it's a great way to learn the basics of bike maintenance, as older models are usually simpler than new ones when it comes to doing oil changes, etc.
Yeah I've been looking at used ones but the only thing around here are 500R's, which are certainly not bad bikes but I kinda had my sights set on the 250 bike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a little thing,

I am also a new rider and I was looking at the 250 or 500, I noticed that when i went on the 250 it was extremely small!!!! IF you are a small person this is something not to worry about (im a bit taller) and when I was llooking around lots of people told me that you would get bored of the 250 within a season if that... so i tried the 500 (I have never riden a bike or anything in my life) And this bike was pretty easy to learn on and doesnt have so much power that it will throw you off your bike.

THe main thing is when you get a bike is take it to a parking lot and learn there and you can basically start off on any bike, within reason :p. And another thing is that you have to give it tons of throttle on the 500 to get up to speeds quickly so you dont have to worry about popping wheelies or anything of that sort, and just ride it normally and upshift at lower RPMS if your worried about getting up to higher speeds insantly,

hopefully this makes sense.. as i was typing it, it seemed a bit :?

Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the thoughts Ryan, acutally that helps a lot cause I'm 6'2'' 175lbs so I'll take that into consideration. I'm going to check out a few of them at the dealership tomarrow so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll make it a point to check out both bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts