Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take for your 250r to rev up while in nuetral to say 8-10K rpm? My dad's '95 yzf600r takes less than a second it seems, but my bike takes something like 2-3 seconds. Is that normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only did it to see if it bogs down like it does while a load is on it. Between 8-13K it bogs quite a bit, which it doesn't. I'm just wondering if timing might be off or what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Like Stuart said, "Is it normal to rev it to 10k in neutral?" But maybe you just did that to try to diagnose the problem. Less than 1 second sounds right to me. Two to three seconds is a long, long time. There's probably something wrong.

It bogs down between 8-13K? Something's definitely wrong. That's where you should get the greatest power.

As I understand, the timing is not adjustable on this bike. But if you think that timing is the problem, the timing chain may have jumped a sprocket. How many miles are on that baby?

Another possibility is that you may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Your fuel system could be partially clogged. It may be time to clean the fuel tank (and that little screen) and the carbs. If you have a fuel filter installed, definitely change that.

Go over the basics, too, like fresh gas, new plugs, clean air filter, etc.

Do you have any practical jokers nearby? A potato in the muffler can cause your symptoms.

There may be other possibilities, too, but those are the first things that come to mind.

My bet says it's most likely either vacuum or the air filter. Check those first.
Curt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curt said:
As I understand, the timing is not adjustable on this bike. But if you think that timing is the problem, the timing chain may have jumped a sprocket. How many miles are on that baby?Go over the basics, too, like fresh gas, new plugs, clean air filter, etc.

Do you have any practical jokers nearby? A potato in the muffler can cause your symptoms.
Not sure what the problem could be, I bought the bike used. It's an '02 with 2200 or so miles on it when I bought it. I've put on about 2000 or a lil more in the couple months I've owned it, but haven't done anything to the bike.....Just looked at the service records, and it shows he's had the oil changed 3 times in 2000 miles. If it helps any, I'm getting between 53-58 miles per gallon. As for practical jokers, I don't think anyones messed with my bike. Not too much crime or anything around here, only a small 12K people town.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
REVING

FIRST of all, NEVER rev a bike that far with it in Neutral! If you have a load on it like riding it it is completely differrent. YOu can frag a motor in a heartbeat...gees. If you are riding it and it does that I would check the airfilter and airbox before I even checked the plugs. If the airbox is not sealed as it should be the lean mixture will cause some major changes in how the bike accelerates and how hot it gets (running way to lean). Get a service manual and read through it, so that you are familiar with all of the bike and how it works. Finally if you are really serious about the bike and don't want to wait till you have read the entire service manual and adjusted the carb and all that take it in the the shop and have them adjust the valves and check the bike out completely. Better to have spent money getting it checked out than to spend it having to repair it AFTER something brakes. Making sure that the carb is opening fully when you twist the throttle is also important. Some guys will go out install a brand new carb on their car and get it all set up to idle and never realize that when the car(pedal) is floorboarded that the carb isn't fully opened (Wide Open Throttle WOT). you can affect the timing by adjusting your plugs. not much but more than you could believe if you didn't have a timing light to prove it. In the Older days (before we used electronic ignition) we used Points and condenser. Before you adjusted the timing you were supposed to adjust the plugs with a wire gap to ensure that they were properly gapped. You could set your timing then to what ever you wanted for performance in town, combination or for the open Highway. You take a plug and you can adjust it from say.032 to .045 and get a longer spark, but it affect your timing if you do it. I could go on for hours...about what gas to try burning, just try several different octane levels and also different gas stations...there is a difference. If you had a go Kart parts store you could get a device that would not only record your RPM's but you could also watch your Cylinder head temperature. Lean, rich, just right...you can make some fine adjustments if you have the tools and knowledge to do so. Check your spark gap with a proper wire gap, not a feeler gauge, and you can play with the gap a little to get the best performance out of her. Trying to change the gap, change gas octane levels or even brands at the same time will really mess you up. so keep very accurate records of things. and if they help or hurt what you are trying to get to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts