Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mechanic, but I try!
I have this on-going restoration project of which I think has come a long way since resurrecting this 2510 4x4 Mule from its grave.
I've worked this mule from the "Front Final Drives to the Rear to include the electrical, heads, carb, etc." It is currently running pretty good, as I am slowly but surely working out all the bugs. But what I think to be the final obstacle is this knocking or chattering sound if you will. I know it is coming from the drive converter assy as I have removed the converter cover, run it in neutral, and know for sure. The sound is there only during low idle and totally diminishes on acceleration. I am guessing it has something to do with the spider and weight ramp assembly as I have already replaced all bushings.

I know from reading the threads there is quite a bit of knowledge out there, and I am hoping someone can enlighten me with my stubborn mule.

Mahalo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mahalo, spray the ends of the spider with lithium grease carefull not to get any on drive belt. If the noise goes away then take off the spider and rebuild with new rollers and pins. My spider sounded like chiklets in a coffee can before I rebuilt it. You can shim the ramp weights to eliminate side to side movement, but be carefull the ramp weights must still move freely up and down.
Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha bigk56,
I’ve learned something new again today! It makes perfect sense; too much clearance or slop would allow the ramp weights to sling from side to side on low RPM. I’ll delve into your suggestion or should I say remedy. I’m thinking I can take this answer to the bank!

“CHIKLETS IN A COFFEE CAN” that’s a perfect description. I’ll be in touch!

Hey, you catching the “BCS Sugar Bowl” at the Super Dome? Hawaii vs Georgia, see you there!

Mahalo (Thank You in Hawaiian)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please let us know how your repairs go. I'm sorry you are going to come such a long way to watch your team lose (ha).
I appreciate the lingo lesson. I don't run into alot of Hawaiians around here.
Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken,
Will do with follow up! Parts are on order from "Fremont MI", you familiar with "PowersEdge.com"? Shipping to Hawaii cost almost as much as parts!
I'm expecting parts a day or two before Christmas... Any other suggestions for parts from distributor on the West Coast, anyone?
Kawasaki 2510 Mule KAF620-A1

Mahalo

Must say, I do think highly of Georgia! BUT! A win wont come easy!

Aloha... "Kalika"

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Click on the sponsor's ad above, they are generally pretty fairly priced on parts, and located in Montana. Also, get your hands on a can of Comet Clutch lube for the high performance clutches used in snowmobiles. That is a dry molly lube that is used to coat the ramps, rollers and all metal to metal surfaces. It stops the premature wear in its tracks. I have no idea why Kaw does not recommend this in their service information, as clutches that are lubed seem to run for years and years without any problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cshimtsu I Also Have A 2510 4x4 But Am Im The Process Of Converting To An Engine Out Of A 3010 So I Have A Perfectly Good Clutch For Sale If You Or Anyone Else Is Interested By The Way I Live In Ca. So Shipping Would Be A Little Better For You. I Was Sure The Chatter Problem Was Going To Be From The Splined Connection Between Converter And Crankshaft Glad I Was Wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCW/darrelselveira,
Thanks for the info guys, RCW, I checked the site out and it also has what I need should I need it, and I'll give it a go next time. darrelselveira, I haven't received the ramp weights, pins and rollers currently on order, yet! But once it's here, I'm hoping that will correct my (as bigk56 put it) chiklets in a can issue. If not, I may have to call on you, but it would be my bad luck to find you'll have cashed out on the converter by then.

Mahalo again! "Kalika"

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
The old 2510 was prone to bushings going bad in the converter, there should be three of them. It will give you a metallic light rattle sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kawi,
Thank you for the response, Initially, I thought that may have been my problem so I changed all three, but the problem persists. I am still waiting on pins, rollers and shims, to replace those on the ramp weight assembly ordered a while back, but I think the Holiday mode have stalled its arrival. Wait, wait and wait, thats how it is when ordering from Hawaii.

Mahalo, Kalika

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow up,
Well, as mentioned on an earlier post (viable information for e/one) replacing the rollers and pins in the drive converter did make a significant difference when noticing the tighter tollerance subsequent to its removal/replacement. However, I should have taken it another step and replaced the "ramp weights" as well after realizing the obvious over tolerance with the new pins in place, by comparison to the roller and pin sets. I do still have the "chiklets in a coffee can effect" (to quote bigk56), but I know we're on the right track. Consequently, I have ordered a new set of ramp weights, so I hope to have better news later. Once again, thanks to all that have shared their "UTV" repair experiences with me, also to those that have stopped by to read the thread. Happy New Year!
(Hey Ken, Georgia did great! Well worth the trip win or loose, I'd do it again.)
Aloha, Kalika

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I was really happy with how well Georgia played. I wish there was another game so we could give USC a shot, but oh well. Hawaii had a great year and nothing to be ashamed of. I don't think they played their best game against Georgia and hopefully they can build on this to prepare for Florida next year.
Happy New Year,
Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m bringing this thread back to life for a reason.
I finally received the ramp weights early this week, it sure took a long time to reach Hawaii, extra $25 for shipment via a lead boat, if I had used a faster delivery service, shipping would cost more than the parts, what can I say?! Someone cast a line, and pull Hawaii closer to the Main States! Bring my shipping cost down.

Yesterday I removed the old, and replaced them with the new ramp weights, problem went away...
Finally, closure! Hoo'rah! For the effectiveness of this forum! Thanks to all for the insight.

Kalika

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cshimtsu I Also Have A 2510 4x4 But Am Im The Process Of Converting To An Engine Out Of A 3010 So I Have A Perfectly Good Clutch For Sale If You Or Anyone Else Is Interested By The Way I Live In Ca. So Shipping Would Be A Little Better For You. I Was Sure The Chatter Problem Was Going To Be From The Splined Connection Between Converter And Crankshaft Glad I Was Wrong.
Do you still have the front converter, the whole unit, if so I am interested if the price is right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts