Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new poster,

just purchased a 2510 D mule w/mattracks. just goes anywhere. found a 1000 steel cab. will it fit my mule?

Thank you in advance.

fsttlkr

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
No, the cab will not fit. Completely different design.

You will have a ball with the Mattracks, they do go anywhere but across water!

I have a 3010D with Mattracks at the ranch in Alberta, and took off the metal cab and put a cheap hunting store generic fabric cab on because the tracks vibrate so badly on hard pack snow and ice, or on lake ice, the metal cabs will rattle you right out the door from too much noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2510 Diesel MULE

thank you for the reply. do you run your mule w/tracks in the locker position or just run it normal and lock it in when you need more traction.

i have an enclosed top on my box and get a lot of noise from the air intake over my head in the roll bar, do you experience the same thing?

thank you,

fsttlkr

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Do not run the rear differential locker locked in with the Mattracks. They have so much more traction than the tires that you will snap an axle if you are heavily loaded and on solid surfaces. I only lock when it is very slippery.

The front differential has a compensation clutch override in the transaxle that will snap and pop if the front and rear axles run at different levels of traction or speed, so that is not such a problem. But, I now hardly ever use four wheel drive because of the greater traction with those tracks.

I relocate all my air intakes to a chunk of white 4" PVC that routes around the side and up above the roll frame. It is topped with a screen and air intake from a UD diesel truck turned backwards that keeps rain, bats, rats, squirrels, and birds out of the tube. That way I have no issues with one of those slip over cab cover assemblies, and all the noise is outside the cab, well above me and muffled.

Not pretty, but works. The cost was about $10 plus a handful of heavy duty zip ties and a few holes in the fabric cab to hold it in place. The black PVC is cheaper, but the white is far lighter and in the event I hook it on a tree it will pop the zip ties or snap off before it creates a problem for me. The UD air intake scoop/cover was free at the local truck junk yard. I did have to modify the hoses from the OEM Kawasaki filters to make this work, but no leaks and no noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you,

I have only run the locker a little bit, and then with no load. I have been running in 4x4 most all the time, as we have between 1'-2' of snow and we live in a pertty wooded and hilly terrian.
I didn't know the locker works just on the rear axle. My youngest son and I have been setting deer antler traps for sheds and having this vehicle is just great.
I will have to try the intake redesign you suggestted. Really appreciate the help you have given me, because I'm pretty green when it comes to a mule diesel. If you have a picture of you rig with the cab and intake i would be very interested.. again thank you very much. If your ever in north east Iowa, i would enjoy meeting you.

thank you,

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I use AT&T's wonderful wireless Internet, and when I try to send photos it just locks up and boots me off the net. Their bandwidth priorities are for the iphone users, not the computer users.

The rear axle does not have a built in limited slip, but uses the lever in the control console to lock the spider gears manually. Once it is locked it is locked, no give at all. You never want to run it on hard/solid surfaces with the rear lock engaged and a load in the bed, that will snap an axle. On soft surfaces and snow no problem, lock it and run all you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the reply. I'm sure that i will have other problems are try to ask you for help.

thanks again,

john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts