Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 98 mule badly fouls the #2 cylinder and plug with black carbon. #1 cylinder burns clean. After removing the head and cleaning the valves, they seem to be in good condition and seated well. Compression checks good on both cylinders. Engine runs good for about 30 minutes until it re-fouls and looses power. Kawasaki has been no help. Any ideals?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will run very good and idle smooth also for about 20 to 30 minutes. After that it looses so much power it will only run about 5 mph. I can clean the black puffy carbon from the rear plug and it will again run smooth. I have pulled the head and cleaned the valves which look good, push rods and springs are good, and replaced the oil seals on the push rods. I also installed new head gasket. Still only runs about 30 minutes before fouling. Front cylinder burns clean. Any ideals?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the problem of the oil pan filling with gasoline causing the oil level to rise to the point of backing up into the cylinders. This causes the plugs to foul and give the same symptoms as you describe, with the exception of it fouling both plugs instead of one. Maybe you have the same problem with less compression in the rear cylinder causing it to foul in the rear first.

Check your oil level, make sure it is not too full and monitor it carefuly. If it is too full then that maybe your problem if not it may your rings (compression check?).

Please keep me posted on your progress, I hope that this info will help fix your problem and maybe you will come across something that will help mine. I have had my carb rebuilt but it did not fix the problem. I am not sure of what to do next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've replaced the coil (rear cyl) checked the pickups (within specs) checked the compression (within specs) re-jetted the carb (3 x's lower each x) oh yeah and replaced the plugs. Still fouls just not as fast. Theres no fuel in the oil. Gonna try split fires if they make them. Replaced fuel pump and then replaced the carb, control box with known good parts. I am so lost anymore with this mule. I'm just shy of replaceing the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts