Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2001 2510 that sat a while in barn.
Problem: starts and idles nearly perfect. REVS in neutral perfect. Put it in forward or Reverse it struggles alot. Minimal power, will move if flat, struggles alot on an incline, goes fine down hill.

Things I did: Airbox stuff, fuel line/pump stuff, switched carb, removed exhaust, new spark plugs, adjusted governor.

Timing off?

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for any info.

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
Bought a 2001 2510 that sat a while in barn.
Problem: starts and idles nearly perfect. REVS in neutral perfect. Put it in forward or Reverse it struggles alot. Minimal power, will move if flat, struggles alot on an incline, goes fine down hill.

Things I did: Airbox stuff, fuel line/pump stuff, switched carb, removed exhaust, new spark plugs, adjusted governor.

Timing off?

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for any info.
You're in the same boat with me. I'm doing a compression test next. I just bought mine a week ago, same problem...perfect idle but no go...everything checks out but no friggen acceleration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad has exact same one, I'm going to pull his clutch off and switch with mine and see if the clutch is stuck not opening up. I talked to a Kawasaki dealer and the guy thinks it's the clutch. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
My dad has exact same one, I'm going to pull his clutch off and switch with mine and see if the clutch is stuck not opening up. I talked to a Kawasaki dealer and the guy thinks it's the clutch. I will keep you posted.
well mine gets like a .5 second of power before it falls on it's face after I put new plugs in it. I guess I can check my clutch, cause I don't know **** about mules...I'm a helo mechanic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you take that black cover over the clutch and power converter, the front unit (power converter) when it spins cyintrificle force pulls it closer while the clutch unit the one in the rear opens up as it spins, by them doing the opposite, it keeps the belt tight. But if you take the cover off and rev it you can kinda watch it.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about Mules, but my ATV has what sounds like a similar clutch arrangement. It has a belt breakage detector. If the detector sees a fraying belt it will reduce power output by 50% to put you into a "limp home" mode.

Or if the detector provides a false signal it can go into limp home mode with even a new belt. Might be worth seeing if Mules have something similar.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
And that someone may well be correct. But if it were me, I would first confirm that information for my specific year and model and then I would inspect the clutch and belt for wear and tear and proper function.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
I don't wish to argue with you. You asked for suggestions and it seems you have tried many things and nothing worked.
If you don't want to inspect the clutch and belt, that is entirely up to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts