Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 900Lt serviced at the dealers this week. They mentioned at 26,000 miles Kawi recomends having the valves adjusted. They said its about a 3 hour job. I will have 23,000 miles now. Should I have it done? Have any of you 900 owners had it done?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
hey dan....when i still had my 900..i talked to the mechanic at the independent bike shop just down the street from work...anyways he told me if their not making any noise...not to mess with em...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey dan....when i still had my 900..i talked to the mechanic at the independent bike shop just down the street from work...anyways he told me if their not making any noise...not to mess with em...
How is the nomad working for you? Hopefully it wont be long and we can hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
How is the nomad working for you? Hopefully it wont be long and we can hook up for a ride.
my wife and i really like it...a lot more comfortable for her on the back and rides a lot smoother then the 900 did....yeah im lookin forward to hooking up with you guys again this summer....had a great time riding with you last summer.....

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts

I know the local shop foreman and asked him about the 15k adjustment on the 900. He asked one question: "Is it hard to crank?" No, it cranks first time, every time. "Then don't mess with it." Evidently the difficult cranking is a sign that the valves need adjusting.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I believe it actually is recommended at 18,000 miles. I had two intake (if I remember correctly) shims at minimum spec. They were replaced.

·
Cruisin above overcast.
1,020 Posts
Out-of-adjustment valves can make themselves known in a variety of ways, the most common being a distinct clatter from the valve area indicating loose valves, while tight valves may cause hard starting or a poor idle.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Doesn't the manual recommend adjusting at 15K?

·
Registered
153 Posts
If your valves have not been adjusted by 26,000 miles, definitely have them adjusted. Noisy valves are loose and can cause damage over time, but tight valves are a much bigger and more common problem as then you are at risk of burning the exhaust valves, resulting in major engine repair costs. By the time the engine starts hard or idles poorly, damage usually has been done. I recommend a good independent mechanic for this over the dealer if you know one.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
my wife and i really like it...a lot more comfortable for her on the back and rides a lot smoother then the 900 did....yeah im lookin forward to hooking up with you guys again this summer....had a great time riding with you last summer.....

Let's roll guys! :D

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
The service manual recommends checking them at 15K and 15K thereafter. I did my own check at 15K and then again at 26K just because.. Its not hard if your mechanically adapt and have the time, but you do need to excesise caution, such as not loosing any parts or dropping something into the engine case. At 15K my exhaust were okay, but the intake where at the outer limit.. I prefer them not so noisly..

As previously mentioned, alot of noise or poor running or idle are key indicators you need to check them.. I would definetly have it done.. Regular maintainence is key to a long lasting ride and a headache later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2009 Classic owners manual says, inspect valve clearance every 42K or 26,000 miles. Is there a difference between the 08 and 09 specks? My dealer says the owners manual is correct.

Just curious.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
07 900 Custom owners manual says 15000 miles.

I've heard there is a discrepancy between US and Euro spec owners manuals (for no apparent reason).

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts

Get a new mechanic. The valves get tighter over time, and you want them to make some noise. When they get quiet is when you will have problems.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have my owners manual .. just going by what the dealer told me. They could have done it last week when it was in the shop but he said everything was good and wait till next oil change. The bike runs great and has over 23,000 miles on it.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Wierd that the Custom and Classic would have different adjustment intervals. I checked and adjusted mine at 16K. Half were good, but the other half were out. If you haven't had them checked before, I would suggest a physical check and not an audible check.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Hey Dan its 15000 miles for the valve adjustments. you're way over due. I let the dealer do the first one and I did the second one. If you're mechanically inclinded they are easy to do. Let me know and I can email you the info you'd need to do it your self.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Do it yourself!

It's really not difficult. And, like others have said, valves have more of a tendency to tighten mainly due to wear of valve faces against the heads. This will cause tightening of the adjustment and, if ignored, would eventually cause valves to not seat properly and eventually burn as they would not completely close.

Spend $75-$90 on a shim kit and go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts