Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody on here want to swap shims with me? I live in canada, so canadians would be prefered to keep shipping cost and time down, but not necesary. I have 6 shims ranging from 245-265 that I would love to swap for some 235-245 shims. I have 6 valves with zero clearance so I am not sure exactly what shims I need. Ideally if you could ship them to me, I make all the shim changes that I need and then send you the shims I didn't use would be great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to say that in Sarnia, Ont I have only 13mm underbucket shims, and then only a few. Don

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey np, thanks for the thought. If I don't manage to find someone on this and KZR I will just have to see if my local shop will swap, for a fee of course. I suppose shipping would run me a few bucks too, maybe I should just see wshat the shop will want.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I've got a few but I suspect they are thicker than what you need. I'm away from home atm and can't check to be sure.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's cool, thanks anyways, nice bike btw

·
Registered
9 Posts
it might save you some time and effort if you get one shim,take it to an engineering shop,have it ground down to about level with top of one of your buckets,have it measured,then use that one to measure the gap under each cam,then all you need to do is buy the right sized ones,if its an odd size,better round it up to next size shim.hope this helps.:lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good idea billhilly, regarding the super thin shim. I did my vavles, KZ550A2, a month or two ago and a couple were <1thou, but you could still rotate the bucket. Another couple were not accepting the 1 thou feeler, and I could not rotate the bucket. No bucket rotation means less than 0 clearance, but how much less you don't know and can only gues it might be a thou or two. Your super slim shim approach avoid this dilemma. Round up or down doesn't really matter. Round up for less clearance and maybe a slightly quieter engine, round down for more time before re-shimming.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I had the same problem with 0 clearance so I took the smallest shim I had from a different cylinder and used that to gain some clearance for checking the other cylinders.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi, I love the idea of shim swapping. I am in Seattle. I just bought a 1981 kz1100. I am going to do my valves this week. I have no idea what shims I will need. Give me an idea of how you thought the swap would go. Thanks, Kevin

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
choco, basically I have zero clearance on 6 of 8 valves, so I don't really know what shims I need. I was hoping somebody with a big stash of shims could send me a bunch of 230, 235 and 240 shims and I would send back what I didn't use and the ones I w=swapped out. if I know what sizes i needed it would be much easier, but I don't

·
Registered
359 Posts
choco, basically I have zero clearance on 6 of 8 valves, so I don't really know what shims I need. I was hoping somebody with a big stash of shims could send me a bunch of 230, 235 and 240 shims and I would send back what I didn't use and the ones I w=swapped out. if I know what sizes i needed it would be much easier, but I don't
Hey, that's a great idea, IF EVERYONE WAS A MECHANIC! unfortunately, not...since we are both in the same situation, I am not sure what the answer is. Let's leave it at this: whoever does their valves first, let the other guy know what shims are available? Does that make sense? Anyway, good idea, thanks.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey np. I found a nice guy on kzrider.com that sent 6 shims my way a few days ago, so when they get here I will swap them out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
shims

I hope that your valve adjustment goes well.Dont you have a precision shim maker in canada or the usa?After all there are millions of cars running around with inverted buckets & shims & no two makers would dare share a common shim, would they?We must be lucky in Oz as there is a aftermarket maker of shims called shims r us, & they make all the shims for cars & bikes.let us all know how your adjustment went,keep the exhausts on the hi side of the std setting,& the intakes mid range.wayno 1500 drifter.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure there is a shim maker around, but I thought since I have sunk gulp-thousands into this bike now (holy crap I really have!) I would try to save on the things that I don't need to buy. 6 shims x 5 bucks = 1 jug of rotella.

·
Registered
106 Posts
5 bucks = 1 jug of rotella.[/QUOTE]What ever that is, its still only $30 & youve spent thousands. If the adjustment is out the bike will be POX.So $30 for a sweet running bike is the cheapest thing that youve bought for the bike.Wayno 1500 drifter

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do plan on putting the proper shims in, I just thought maybe I could swap with someone instead of buying shims. I have 6 shims in the mail right now that are going to cost me like 2 bucks for shipping.

Shell Rotella is motor oil.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
30 bucks for Rotella? My local wally world has the gallon jug for $11.
I'm in Canada. The dino Rotella is cheaper, but Rotella T is $29.99 here. The 30 bucks will likely buy me 2 jugs of castrol for my break in, and I iwll have to go out and get the rotella T on my own...****, where else to save.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Amazing. Our Canadian retailers need to learn a lesson about pricing. And I'm in the process of giving them that lesson. Here in Ontario we pay an "Ecological Fee" for every bottle of oil, can of paint, or solvent. And they wonder at why we are now classified as a "have not" province. Sorry to be off topic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts