Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just hit me that my 1000 went out with close to 2 gallons of fuel when I went out to test it and my chain came off. I got home afterward, no fuel leaks but my tank is totally empty. floats are set to 17mm, carbs are clean, needles are brand new, and sealing wonderfully, #35 pilots and 140 mains in the carbs, running a bare carb setup until i get some pods to fit on there, or replace the stock boots. all 4 cylinders are firing, carbs are synched, pilot screws are 2.5 turns out, I just cant figure it out.

oh and its my 86 ZX1000.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Running really,really rich? plugs look o.k.? gas can only go so many places,burned in the engine or leak out.

Checked the engine oil? smell like gas?.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I greatly doubt that my tank got drained somehow being I've been no more than 20 feet from it while it was running.

Havent looked at my plugs yet, but I woulnt be surprised if i'm running rich, I know before I got the fuel filter in there, it had a few bowls leaking fuel, and I encountered hydrolock, forcing me to drain the carbs and cylinders to make it run. there was a bit of fuel in the oil as well, but not sure how much exactly.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If you dump 1 gallon of fuel into those cylinders in 2 miles distance I don't believe it would be running. That is about 15x more volume than what it would normally consume. That is way more fuel than the engine could handle IMO. Have you checked your crankcase to make sure it doesn't have the additional fuel again?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The floats are set at 17mm? So, I guess they were done dry?
Have you done the Service Fuel Level Check to verify the fuel level in the carbs?
Did you check the overflow tubes for drops of fuel or is there fuel in the airbox?
I'm not running an airbox on this thing presently. when I drained the oil, I could smell fuel in it.

I dont know why, but I'd think that high rpm riding wouldnt consume THAT much fuel in such a short distance would it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
sounds like you need to drain your oil and have a spare pan ready incase the first one runs over.the gas has almost got to be in the bottom end.the bike should still run rich with the bottom end full though.how did it run?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when I rode it, it went surprisingly well. I cant figure for the life of me how it ran so very well though.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just tore the carbs apart, since they were off the bike anyway, and the #1/2 carbs have what look like water an gas blended together into some sort of gross gel in the bottom of the bowls. might this be a cause for my problems?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Highly doubt that bike would be able to run with even 1 gallon of fuel in the crankcase. Your carbs are dirt, from what you said, but that's not the cause of your problem. I really don't know how you haven't found a puddle underneath the bike or something because gas has to be pouring out from somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts