Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a 2nd battery on my 3010 TransMule to run a winch and cd/radio. Has anyone added a 2nd battery to a TransMule? Where did you place the 2nd battery? Anybody have any ideas? The stock location is not big enough for a 2nd battery. I am not going to wire the 2nd battery into the 1st battery, just plan to hook up battery charger to 2nd battery when mule is parked (most of the time).

Thanks for your replies!

wlwells

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Dual batteries present a significant number of technical problems. Both must be the same size, age, and condition or the weaker (and one always is) will draw power from the stronger and simply run both dead in a couple weeks of setting around. Dual batteries also present a problem with respect to balanced loading for the alternator unless the installation uses expensive isolators to keep both charged equally. Lastly, the alternator output of the gas engined Mule is not sufficient to adequately charge a dual battery system, so you will run with two partially discharged batteries with shortened lives and a propensity for sulfation.

I recommend people read the tutorials on batteries on batterystuff's website for technical information that is not overly geeky.

My recommendation is to choose a full sized battery, such as an Optima or another AGM type, and install only one that has enough beans to do the job.

I run a single red top Optima and have some that are pushing 20 years old, and still working like new. The Optima does take a current limited charger if you want to charge them externally, but even the gas Mule will keep up with the charge as long as you are not running a winch for hours, and then allow enough engine time to recharge the system.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I concur with RCW going with a full size battery, I put a rubber cover over the terminals to avoid any possible contact with the metal parts of the emergency brake shorting it out. I have front and back winches installed and a few extra lights and have only had to charge the battery a few times after getting stuck in some deep goo...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.