Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im in second gear just cruising it does ok, when i go to give it gas.... it just kinda jerks and the rpms go up and what not..... what it feels like to me is that maybe a tooth or 2 is missing off of second gear... jw how hard it is to fix, and or how much it would cost me to get it fixed... any thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it's the clutch plates as well. I had the same problem on my last bike (honda 250 nighthawk)

if it is the plates, they cost about 10 - 15$ each i believe

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but its only 2nd.. every other gear works just perfect... at times if your in second it feels like the back tire is just going to lock up

·
Registered
213 Posts
What type of bike do you have? ZX-6E? (AKA ZX600E or ZX-6 Ninja) They often have this problem although other bikes can have it happen as well. Mine went out soon after purchasing it. It started just like yours with it jumping in and out of gear. The best explanation I have heard for the cause is that the shift drum gets damaged and will not hold the bike in gear. Eventually the shift forks and gear dogs also get damaged and it will never stay in 2nd gear. If you do have a ZX-6E, someone on www.zx6e.com documented what it takes to repair the problem, pictures and all. It's very involved, but some have been successful doing it themselves. Another option is an engine swap.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its a zx6e, and the chain is shot.. has slack at some spots and not at others.. but thats not the reason, or else it would do it in every gear... either way im prolly just going to pay someone to fix it... i hate workin on this thing... 50 screws just to change some **** on it...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright i talked to some guy that works at a cycle shop, he said for someone to go in and fix 2nd, i would end up paying about 2k, he said i could get a whole new engine setup for 700 bucks, does this seem about right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can get it fixed for less than that at some places. Is 700 for the new engine installed? If so, that's not too bad. I paid a bit over $500 for the 2003 engine that's now in mine(I installed it).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats 700 bucks for just the engine in my hands.... either way i think im just going to continute using 1st to 3nd... still is quick.... i still think i got a good deal on the bike... paying a little over 1300 for it and it being a 96

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a “little event” that made my 2nd gear look like this:

So I did the full-on overhaul bit. I did learn that with this bike (ZX-6/ZZR600) it IS possible to go in an split the crank-case from the bottom. I am un-decided as to if this is a good idea tho…

·
Registered
213 Posts
What year is the motor? If you're going to swap out the motor, I have heard that the 98 or newer motors are much less likely to loose 2nd gear (upgraded shifter parts supposedly).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could i put a 98 or newer motor in mine without having to buy other major parts?

·
Registered
213 Posts
nemethjames1 said:
could i put a 98 or newer motor in mine without having to buy other major parts?
Yes. Just make sure it's a ZX600E or ZZR600 motor (NOT a ZX-6R motor) 93-04 ZX6E/ZZR600 motors bolt right up. You'll need new exhaust gaskets and a couple of other small items but that's about it. BTW I have an '03 ZZR600 motor in my '94.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts