Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new pipes on Friday and can't hardly wait. I have ridden it stock for 4000 miles now and am ready to start turning heads. I can't afford to buy the Power Commander yet, probably get one in the next month or so. I am wondering what to expect with running the new pipes without the new fuel mapper. I plan to marble the reed valve to cut down on the popping on decel. Will I notice any other bad side effects after installing the new pipes?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have those pipes and you're gonna love them if you want to be loud and proud, cuz trust me...They are loud, but I get compliments on the tone all the time, cuz they are deep, plus they have no seams and they don't blue. If you want more info check these links out...I posted all of my results. Start to finish!

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3665&highlight=

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3711&highlight=

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3613&highlight=

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually read your post before. Very nice Meanie. I almost got one but opted for the Classic.

I am getting the 3" Big Straights. I actually go to hear them the other day on a Vulcan 1600 Classic just like mine. They sounded great.

I guess my only reservation is running them without the power commander. I know I can get rid of the decel pop with the marbel trick. Is there anything else negative I should expect before I get the FI kit? I will probably go with the K&N air filter when I get my PC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

it'll run just fine :wink:

just do the marble and get to ridin' 8)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
is the marbleing the reed valve trick only for FI's? Your going to have to excuse the question of this is a DUH'r...but i'm not a mechanic, nor do I claim to be. I can do basic maintenance and easy installations.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure if it's an FI thing only or not. I haven't had a carburated bike in many years.

I'd just get the block off plates and do it right...I don't want some marble rolling around in my engine...I know it's highly unlikely that it would ever get sucked in, but it's not that hard to install the block off plates and do it right.

To each his own though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah it's not a FI thing. It's a smog pollution thing that they install on most bikes. My dad had a 1500 Nomad that was not FI and he had to do it after he installed some V&H pipes.

I was reading on a website that you can install the marble behind the grommet and it will keep the marble from coming loose. I want to get the coasters (covers) and do it right but I need to find them for the 1600. In the meantime I will do the marble because I'm not waiting to install the new pipes. They are going to be obnoxious. :D

http://www.gadgetjq.com/smogstuffremove.htm

·
37,387 Posts
how bad is the backfire on decelleration?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's pretty good (bad) for people to come up with a solution to fix it. Apparently it is due to the reed valve feeding air into the exhaust to burn up any unspent fuel. The stock exhaust has some sort of method to explode the unused fuel in it and cover the sound of the backfire. I think it has chambers, I'll have to go back and read my owners manual. Anyway aftermarket exhaust is free flow so you hear the backfire.

It seems like a small price to pay to block one hose to hear the full beauty of pipes you pay 500 bucks for. IMHO.

·
37,387 Posts
Well, I placed my order for pipes yesterday, and am now awaiting the big brown truck (drive the truck dale) like a kid waiting for christmas. I'll go buy a bag of marbles and do the trick too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of pipes did you get?

·
37,387 Posts
after much thought and indecision, I have decided on V&H straighshots.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you will be happy. My old 800 Classic had V&H and they are truly a great sounding and looking set of pipes. In fact I pulled up next to a guy riding a HD Sportster 800 once and he could not believe a metric bike could sound better than his HD. Let us know how it goes.

·
37,387 Posts
My short list worked its way down to the V&H or the HK 3" Staggered Straights...

It came down to the noise level, I wanted a bit more quieter pipe and the HK's are a tad bit more louder than I care for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah they are. That's what made me go with the HK's. I wanted the mines bigger and louder.

·
37,387 Posts
I really like the look of the larger HK's and not to mention that they have a better reputation for quality....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We still have the 800 with the V&H pipes. They have been on there for probably 6 years and never had a bit of trouble. Trust me you will love them. Since you didn't want them to be as loud I think you made a great choice.

·
37,387 Posts
I'm sure that if V&H had a bad reputation for bad quality, they'd not be selling as many pipes as they are. I've just read several reviews of both V&H and HK and it seems to me that the chrome quality of the HK's is better. I know I made the right choice and am happy with it...come on brown truck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've heard the same but can only imagine the difference as being very minor. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I know I will.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've heard that HK had some trouble with the chrome on the end caps chipping. However, I also heard it was a bad batch and that HK is very accommodating on the replacement.

Anyone know if marbling is required on 800 aftermarket pipes as well?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts