Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 800 classic keeps running out of gas at the 3 gal mark. Twice now I had to switch to reserve when I thought I still had a gallon of gas left. When I filled up, both times I only put 2.8 gal in the tank and it was full. I thought this was a 4 gal tank. Anyone else have this problem?

LJ

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe when they say 4 gallons, that includes the reserve. At least that's how my 500r is.

//i thought this post was going to be about women...lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would mean that I should be putting in 3.5 gals when I run out. I am still .7 gals short

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The term “reserve” should be changed to “warning” because there is no separate tank for the reserve. They all come from the same tank. The only difference being the reserve hose is located lower in the tank. So in reality, switching to reserve is analogous to a warning light.

"i thought this post was going to be about women" - me too

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Trans101am,

Set your odometer to zero when you get gas and make a note of how many miles you have gone when you switch to reserve.

If you have a manual for your bike...it will have the fuel capacity in the specs.

Heather

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes, it is a 4 gallon tank but the reserve should be .8, so you should be able to run 3.2 gallons before getting close. Maybe you are doing mostly city driving or driving hard. I am getting around 49 miles/gal, I just check my odometer, not passing 130 miles before refueling. I have not had to go to reserve one time nor do I want to, Doc. :grin:

·
Registered
488 Posts
My 800 would hit the reserve in about 2.8 gals also. I could still go about 180 - 200 miles before the thing ran out of gas. I would always set my odometer and never go over about 160 before I filled up.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I hit reserve on mine at 130 miles. Don't know how far I could go on reserve because I filled up right away. I think it held around 3 gals.

bluestringer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I not as concerned about mileage right now as I am about not being able to put 4 gal of gas in my tank. I will address the mileage when I rejet the carb, but I did only get 99 miles on my tank last time, which would have to do with having to use the choke so much. Once I get the idle mixture under control, that should do away with alot of the choke.

LJ

·
Registered
488 Posts
I found that if you use the choke to start the bike and let it run on it for about a minute. Let the thing warm up for a few minutes until you can hit the throttle without hesitation. Then you can avoid using the choke while you are riding. I also used the idle adjustment under the airbox when it was cold outside instead of the choke while riding. When the thing warms up good just reduce the idle where it sounds good.

I live in Central Oregon where the temerature can swing 50 degrees during the day. The bike was set so lean from the factory that I took it back to the dealer and they shaved 20 thousanths off of my needle valve which helped it to run better.

I also found that riding around town and having a lot of throttle and shifting gave me about 35 mph. When I got on the highway and set my cruise at about 70 I was getting up to 52mph.

You have a 4 gallon tank and the way you drive will make all the difference to when you hit your reserve. You will still get a long way on your reserve because it's kicking in so early. Mine did the same thing and I could run on my reserve for another 50 miles.

You'll get used to the bike and it will be no big deal. It does not hurt it to run it on the reserve. Just keep an eye on your odometer and you'll be fine.

Have fun, It was a great bike for me and i travelled 8000 Miles in one summer with no problems.

By the way, I found out that my handling got lousy when I started wearing my rear tire out. Youll find that the back of the bike starts feeling squirrelly, if that is a real word.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too was getting low miles/per gal. on my 800, mainly because I had to use the choke for several minutes before it would idle smoothly. After, switching to cr6 plugs, I only have to put on the choke for a minute or so before it smooths out. Plus, it now starts on the first try. My MPG have improved since. I usually go around 120+ miles before having to switch to reserve.

G

·
Trans101am said:
I not as concerned about mileage right now as I am about not being able to put 4 gal of gas in my tank. I will address the mileage when I rejet the carb, but I did only get 99 miles on my tank last time, which would have to do with having to use the choke so much. Once I get the idle mixture under control, that should do away with alot of the choke.

LJ
Dude Trans101am,
You've got me confused now. Can you explain; " which would have to do with having to use the choke so much. Once I get the idle mixture under control, that should do away with alot of the choke."

WTFO? Idle mixture under control? Unless you've got the bike tuned and operating properly don't expect gas mileage to be correct. Using the choke so much???

pms

·
Registered
694 Posts
The first time i had to go to reserve was at 115 miles on the trip odometer. I rode maybe another 12 miles on reserve, when I stopped to fill it up took less than 3 gallons. The next time I had to go to reserve was at 122 miles, went to station to fill up and again took less than 3 gallons. The gallon + still in the tank should go at least another 40 miles....but I don't think i want to press my luck! I just watch the trip odometer when it gets near 115 I go fill it up.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm. I have never had to use my choke for more than 20-30 seconds before the bike will hold an idle, before or after my rejet. Once it holds an idle, I open the choke and let it warm up from there. Before the rejet, I was able to get around 150 miles of highway driving in before going to reserve. Haven't had a long ride since the rejet, and the mileage will likely go down in exchange for the extra power, but I can't imagine getting less than 120 before reserve.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yep- I came in looking for 3 gals too. At least I saw Heather while in here =)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it sounds like everyone needs to fill up at around the 3 gal mark, so that is what I will start to expect.

PMS, what I was talking about with the idle mixture screw is that when I finaly richen up the mixture then it should help me from using so much choke. Especially when everyone says it comes from the factory so lean. I figure that using the choke uses more gas then to turn the idle screw 1-2 turns to the rich side.

LJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for all that thought the post was about 3 or 4 Gals (women). :) Since I am in the military I am used to using abreviations for everything.. hehe.

Ric, lets go for a ride sometime.

LJ

G

·
Whether you use the choke or richen the mixture you'll be putting more gas, vice air, through the carb. Getting the engined warmed up for a few minutes with the choke sure seems reasonable. After that if you still need to use the choke would seem to indicate something is not quite correct. Can't diagnose it from here of course but I would check it out... Happy riding!

pms

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have never put more than 3 gallons of gas in my 04 800 Classic, I thought they made a mistake and it really is a little over 3. If the reserve is .8 gallons then this makes sense and it is 4 gallons. I got 156 before hitting reserve( I have only hit reserve once, I tend to fill up at 120 miles or around that) I had been getting 48 mpg, but since I took the baffles out I get 52 mpg. I only have to use the choke when I first start it let it run with the choke on for a couple minutes then I let it idle till I can turn the throttle with no hesitation. I usually start the bike then put on my gear, gives the bike plenty of time to warm up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts