Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night i finally got my bayou to run like i thought it should, rode it around the yard for about twenty minutes, turned it off, started it back up, off again, start again. everythig was fine. i was convinced that everything was good and that i could start the reassmbly of my bike.i got all of the plastic back on, hooked up some lights and when i went to start it... nothing. at this point i was frustrated. i went in and this morning i went back out to try to start it and it started up and ran for a couple of minutes then died. i poulled the plug and it was soaked, and black. cleaned it up with a wire wheel and nothing. i guess its fouled. I had an old plug laying on the bench and i stuck it in the bike and it fired up, ran for about a minute then died when i tried to give it gas and that was it. no start. i took the plug out and it was wet and black. I know that this sounds in part that my carb is way too rich and flooding. but would that cause the blackness too or is it oil fouling my plug and not the gas? this bike was a freebie and i hope to make a good one out of it without spending a whole lot of money as i dont have much to spend

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Most often if a plug is soaked it is from fuel. Usually when this happens it is the float valve leaking fuel and allowing it to run into the engine.

When you pull the wet plug give it a sniff test. If it smells like gasoline, it is the carburetor.

If it does not smell like gasoline, then it is time for valve adjustment and a compression test.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the plug does smell like gasoline when i pull it out. i just got through having tha carberator rebuilt. Is the some sort of an adjustment that can makeit not run so rich, maybe an air fuel mixture screw or something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.