Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might know I got rid of my V900 and now have a HD Touring bike. While it is not perfect, I have to say that it is still every bit as good as I thought of it when new. Hit 3k miles on it and it still handles great, brakes great, rides great, decent mileage (42-43 typically). No problems at all. I added Screamin Eagle slip-ons for a little roar and didn't touch the EFI.

It still vibrates my eyeballs at idle and is smooth (with a very low frequency/pleasing vibe at hwy speeds). I've had it up over 100, but that's pretty rare.

As far as the HD "wobble", I can say that I have not experienced the death wobble so many ppl write about. It does feel a bit wobbly in 80 mph hard curves (not peg dragging, just sweeping). But it hasn't tank slapped me. It's a touring bike anyway, so pushing it in the curves isn't it's game. Keeping you happy on the hwy (and surprisingly in town) IS it's game.

It doesn't run so hot that it bakes my legs either. About the worst thing I can say about the 2007 models is a 5th gear whine, which I nearly eliminated by a change to Amsoil gear lube in the tranny. Some people put the 2008 models IDS (nothing more than a rubber mounted rear sprocket) on the 2007 models and make ALL the gear noise and vibes go away. A $200 mod if I want.

Anyway - since there are so many threads about HD's here, (kinda funny really) I thought I'd give everyone a little update.

Cheers!

Chuck

Oh, BTW - my neighbor bought a new Star Raider. It's fast, but handles poorly - likes to fall into corners really bad. Looks cool though...

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Good news Chuck. Glad to hear you've been enjoying your new bike. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am not a big fan of the star raider either, the long wheel base and a 700lb bike seems a bit much unless you drive in straight lines only. I like the smaller lighter mid size cruisers, they have the style and still preform well for commuting in LA traffic.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
When I'm finally in the touring bike market, an Electra Glide or EG/UC will be on the short list. I'm happy you like the bike and I hope it serves you well. As you learn more about it and it's tendencies, let us know. Sometimes, the new bike decision comes down to the small stuff.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Give us a report when you get over 30K on it and let me know how the maintenance and "tune up" items went. Also, tire wear and overall trip info. Good to have a man on the inside.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Saw the Raider at the cycles show and didn't like the looks. There is a big space between the top of the cyclinder head, gas tank and frame. You see that kind of look on lots of choppers and I don't care for it. The HD Electra Glide and Road glide are sweet looking. Have you seen the Rocker? Now that's an interesting $20,000 bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,907 Posts
Excellent to hear chuk. Glad it's all working out for you. I can't help but drool on the EGs and UCs every time I go to my local HD dealer for a cup of coffee.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Good post, Chuck.

Who knows, I may be joining the HD ranks once I can turn a throttle again -there're a couple on my short list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts