Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Kawasaki mule Can some one tell me who I can get this thing to run better .I have to choke it to death to keep it running epically when you first started it up and when it cold out side. it will no stay running until it gets good and warm ,I can not find any adjustment on the carb .What can I do this it a pain in the but .
I bought it new and it has done this right from the go.The dealer as they all do that to meet EPA regs and they said that there was nothing you can do about it.
I am going to say that someone knows who to get this thing to run

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The dealer is correct, they cannot touch the pilot jetting in the carburetor without running into problems with their franchise agreement and the EPA.

However, they can tell you how to jet the thing to correct the problem. But, you have to do the work yourself. Unfortunately, some dealers have liability insurance that may keep them from offering that advice. But, ask first and save yourself a lot of trouble with tuning.

If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, and are absolutely certain that it is not something like poorly adjusted valves, loose intake manifold, loose carburetor, dirty sparkplugs, plugged air filter, clogged fuel filter, defective fuel tank cap that is keeping it from venting properly and pulling the needed fuel, improperly adjusted choke, timing issues, etc. Then here is what I would do:

I would go to work on the primary fuel circuit first, as it is what controls everything from start through about 5/8's to 3/4 of the throttle settings. Buy a new set of pilot jets, they only list one part number for the 3010 because of EPA regulations and the need for these to pass their certification process for sale in the US. Then take a new and never used set of Oxy-Acetylene tip cleaners and find the size that most closely fits the pilot jets. Then move up one size of tip cleaner and carefully work it through each of the pilot jets so it just fits. Do not get too aggressive, or you can go too rich.

Make a note of what size you used and scribe a mark on each jet to let you know what was done. Write it down so you do not forget.

Then you install those two jets in place of the ones that are currently installed and give it a try. My guess is that you will see a world of difference.

If it is still boggy and takes a long time to get it off the choke, take the old jets, and ream them to the same size that you did ones you installed, then take them up one more size. Try them, if that gives you even better performance, you have it.

Do not attempt to go up another size, it will be too rich and will severely impact your fuel economy and create a lumpy idle.

If you have bogging from around 5/8's throttle to full throttle, then you need to deal with the main jets. Now, they are sold in different sizes and the dealer is allowed to change them. But, since you already know by now how to work on the carburetor, take a look at the numbers stamped on the existing main jets and then go up one size if you believe you need more fuel to fix the bog, or down one size if you are running rich at higher speeds.

Or, simply call a reputable dealer like Beartooth, site sponsor, and ask them what main jets you need for the altitude and climatic conditions where you operate the Mule.

For an idea of the construction of the carburetor, go to Kawasaki.com and print out the parts diagram for reference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank one more?

Thanks For the help I will give it a try .One more thing ,Is there any why to get more power out of it ,I seems that when I am in mud that it could use more power .It keep moving but it acts like it is going to peter out any time and is they any way to help my top end speed,
The dealer put over size tires on it .I know that will still some power out of it but I would think that 650 would still have more *** then that.I use this mule to work on my farm

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The best way to get power out of a 3010 is to make sure the carburetor is properly jetted, and that the linkage is adjusted correctly.

Larger tires really zap the power by making them higher geared. Sometimes a good carburetor rejetting offsets the impact, but that depends on just how large the tires are.

You really do not want to tweak the governor to make more rpm if you want complete reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts