Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am totaly new to the Mule but am excited to be the new owner of a 2004 with a hard top, door and a plow. the problem is we have some transmission or drvietrain issues. the mule starts great, looks great, but will no move forward or reverse at all. It slides into gear easily(apparently) but i get nothing. Any help you can provide in diagnosing what to look for would be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking at the top of the transmission, where the large lever is connected to the forward/neutral/reverse lever, see that that moves when the shift lever is moved from Neutral to H (or L), and Neutral to R.

If the lever at the transmission is not moving when the shift lever at dashboard is moved, then the cable either isn't attached or is broken.

If the transmission lever is moving, then there's a good chance that the nib on the shift lever is broken off the lever.

Look at this diagram:
OEM Parts Kawasaki Mule 3010 4X4 (KAF620-E2) 2002 GEAR CHANGE MECHANISM - Cheap Cycle Parts

Part index 13236C part number 13236-1366, the Lever. The lever has a pin that carries a "Shift Block" (shown on another diagram). If this pin breaks off, you cannot shift into any other gear.

I have a lever with a broken pin, in my possession. If you need a picture of that, I'll post.

In any event, to get at this thing, you have to remove the transmission from the frame. This involves clutch removal, muffler removal, drive shafts removal, all control cables/reverse wire, front drive shaft, bevel case, hi/low box, then split the case.

Get the service manual!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. the transmission lever on top of the transmission does move when we shift the gears, so i assume that is good news.
can you post that picture for me and i will go back down and look.
If i look at it, will i be able to see if the nib on the shift lever is broken? where would i be looking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay-

Again, i am new at this so sorry for the basic questions.
I have a golf cart that uses a drvie belt, so i actually did think of that, but can you tell me how best to check it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a problem, I am also new to the Mule's and so i am also on the learning curve amd there are many people here that have helped me.
The belt is behind the plastic cover on the driver's side of the engine. You should be able to remove the cover and see what is going on. You may need to remove the rear shock on that side in order to get the cover off, but it is fairly straight forward.
Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
opened up the cover and no drive belt.....completly gone rotted away.
Am i to be comfortable that that may be my issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The broken shift lever. The small pin should be (and was) welded into the flat portion of the lever. Someone crammed the shifter into gear while the speed was high. Since the shift gear has dogs with no synchronizer, it requires exceptional pressure to force the dog engagement. The pin sheared off of the lever.

The 'collar' part (cylindrical piece) rides on the pin and moves the shifter left or right to select forward or reverse.

http://www.penguinscouts.com/ATV/KawMule/IMG_2566s.JPG

But the broken/missing drive belt precludes any further real diagnosis. However, you can turn the secondary sheave, the one into the transmission, by hand, to see that the drive shafts do turn, in forward and reverse, and that would be a very good thing to do, and to find true.

I am surprised that a 2004 belt is rotted away. My 2002 mule has the original belt, and it looks almost new, with no wear on the sides. As an aside, I opened up my 1998 Grizzly 600 to examine the belt, which is a similar drive system to the Kaw mule. That belt also looked virtually new with no side wear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
someone may have taken the drive belt off to keep the broken transmission from being damaged further or to keep it quiet long enough to make a sale.

keith20mm , I couldn't really tell in the photo but don't you also have a messed up dog gear tab?

The shifting lever pin and collor look ok on my 3010 Mule It goes into gear fine ....but it jumps out of lo and hi gear and the dogs are also rounded off. I will order a new dog whamacallit-slider jaw clutch and then see if I can weld up and remachine the worn dog with some nickle steel gun smithing rod with my Dillon/Henrod torch and then mill it back to what the new dog gear measures, maybe with a mild undercut. Has anyone tried to do this before? I don't think it will hurt to try since I have all the stuff at hand. Since it is a simple jaw clutch engagment maybe it will work. What do I have to loose except maybe an extra R&R of the transmission?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
belt rotten- any tricks to replacing?

Just to be clear...the belt wasnt missing, it was just totaly rotten and in small chunks in the housing. Very, very brittle.

Being sunday and with everything closed, it gave me a chance to change the plugs, oil and filter and i will try a new belt as soon as i can find one tomorrow.
any tricks to getting the new belt on, or should it fit with some effort?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Installing a belt is a snap. Take a look at the driven clutch, you will see it opens by twisting the inside sheave clockwise and pressing it toward the transmission. Open it up and the belt will just about install itself.

Back or driven clutch first, belt all the way to the bottom of the groove while that clutch is held open, then flip it over the drive clutch.

It does not hurt to have an extra set of hands the first time, so one can hold the driven clutch open, and the other slides the belt on. Once you get it down, it only takes five minutes from cover removal to re-installation to do by one's self.

Then go back to the back clutch and turn it over by hand a couple of times until the belt tightens and pulls into the front clutch and out to the edge of the driven clutch.

It is usually a good idea to start it up with the cover still off, and try a short drive to make sure everything is working. Saves pulling it open again if a broken chunk of old belt is stuck in one of the clutches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the belt appears to have been the issue.
replaced it and we are on the road.
thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts