Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone or everyone else out there have a 4 speed trans on their Vulcan 1500D (97). The guy I bought it from says there are not many out there. I don't think I believe him.

David

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

they did have 4 speed trannys but i woudn't think they would be all that rare
i'm sure they produced quite a few

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I got a 97 vulcan 1500,make sure that the second gear is ok.I mean it does'nt go back in neutral or in third by itself when you give some gaz.I had that problem and it was the tranny.It cost 1500.00 to repair it.I had 56,000 km on it.

Enjoy riding it

Regard's Rider

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rider said:
I mean it does'nt go back in neutral or in third by itself when you give some gaz.
Hmm.... kind of a semi-automatic, eh, Rider? :wink:

minnzoo said:
$1500... OUCH!
I second that!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got a '96 classic with the 4 speed and the one plus with the 4 speed is if you have friends that have Harleys and want to do top gear roll on comparisons the Kawi 4speed will almost always out pull the 5 speeds because of the gearing. I was a little leary of buying a 4 speed but it's not like you have a 5 speed without a 5th gear the gearing range is spread out evenly I've had my '96 classic up to 170kmh or 113mph on a nice straight section so it's plenty fast enough and the 4th gear is really tall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good morning all..

"DITTO" to Bert's comments on the 4 speed. The 1500 has sensitive clutch fingers and fibre engagement gear that need frequent attention, but other than that 4 speed works as well as anything.. I save 4th for when I need it and perhaps over-use 3rd, but I've never had a bit of problems !

regards...

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ernie, What do you mean frequent attention. I sometimes have trouble getting from 1st to 2nd through neutral. A little grinding or it just misses it and I have to bump it again.

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi David...

Maybe a real mechanic will joing in here,,,, but those bikes that have had the clutch "ridden" instead of Neutral.. the spring fingers in the clutch engagement spring ( 4" diamter conical toothed washer-like spring ) become overheated, loose some of the temper as well as the spring height ( conical height should be between 4.4 and 4.7 mm ) . This can lead to partial clutch engagement ( grinding ), damage to the primary spline and steel clutch plates and of course premature clutch failure.

The "fibre gear" is critical also... this is the Oil Pump input gear.

Look at the Service manual to locate the assembly and the parts I am refering to.

Hope that explains what I meant...

best regards...

Ernie in NH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts