Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 400 4x4 prairie. It has sat up a couple of months lately and would not run when I took it out of the shed. I opened up the carb and the jets had some gunk in them. Cleaned up the carb and put it back on the bike now it will not idle. If you choke it it will run but when you cut the choke off it will idle for about 5 sec then die out. I have checked the pilot screw and it is set right and if you turn up the idle set screw it will run but when you put it in gear it jumps and that is not safe. I have taken the carb apart again and replaced the spark pulg but still have the same problem. What should I do? Should I order another pilot screw? My service manual says a worn or damaged pilot screw will "prevent the engine from idling smoothly."

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Sounds to me like the pilot fuel circuit is clogged. I would completely disassemble the carburetor, remove all jets and air tubes, and clean all the parts and passages with a non-foaming carburetor cleaner, then inspect everything and put it back together.

Keep in mind that today's oxygenated gasoline goes stale and begins to clog the works in as little as a couple weeks of setting around. Keep a good stabilizer in the fuel when not in use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.