Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this mule and it just won't go, won't take off ...falls on it's face. I changed fuel pump and put fresh fuel in tank. Checked the plugs, they look new.
I'm checking the the main throttle and sub throttle resistance and adj.s all good. Maybe ecu, if I can find it. Is this a common problem. The f.i. on this engine seems overly complicated for an off-road vehicle. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest a compression check.
That's where it's headed, but isn't that like an AIDs test, you really don't wanna know. I'm gonna check compression next, wish me luck, I paid 3500.00 for the mule, rebuild kits are cheaper than ECU's, if that's a concession.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EUREKA!. I found the problem...the fuel line that runs from the tank to engine , it goes down into a tunnel of sorts, it is enclosed. There is a crack in line that misted fuel. As soon as you hit the throttle the pressure would drop and keep on dropping. I never saw a leak and I replaced pump twice for volume concerns. It's no wonder that there were no codes,,,I thought my hook-up wasn't right but turns out there are no codes. I was about to go sideways, I worked on cars for 35 years and have never seen a line split like this and just leak enough to blow your mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
EUREKA!. I found the problem...the fuel line that runs from the tank to engine , it goes down into a tunnel of sorts, it is enclosed. There is a crack in line that misted fuel. As soon as you hit the throttle the pressure would drop and keep on dropping. I never saw a leak and I replaced pump twice for volume concerns. It's no wonder that there were no codes,,,I thought my hook-up wasn't right but turns out there are no codes. I was about to go sideways, I worked on cars for 35 years and have never seen a line split like this and just leak enough to blow your mind.
Rubber or metal line? The reason I asking is mind idles perfect but when you go to take off, it acts like there is no gas present. If you pull choke it will move but you must push choke back it for it to get going. After it warms up after running a a little it’s fine. It’s like the fuel pump doesn’t send enough fuel but after driving it a while it’s ok. Carb was cleaned about 4 months ago. Before it started this way it ran like a new one. Then it started this acting up. It seems if it’s cold weather it work better.

·
Registered
2016 kaw mule 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rubber or metal line? The reason I asking is mind idles perfect but when you go to take off, it acts like there is no gas present. If you pull choke it will move but you must push choke back it for it to get going. After it warms up after running a a little it’s fine. It’s like the fuel pump doesn’t send enough fuel but after driving it a while it’s ok. Carb was cleaned about 4 months ago. Before it started this way it ran like a new one. Then it started this acting up. It seems if it’s cold weather it work better.
Plastic line, split on the bend. Hey I don't think a carb equipped machine will do this because it only runs 2-3 lbs of pressure and once the bowl is full it will deliver gas even if the pump quits momentarily. Although checking the lines is not a bad idea, it's probably not your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts