Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I bought a 1980 Kawaski 440LTD. Love the look of the bike. I got it started today with some fuel and a charged battery. I have yet to get it to shift into gear. I have adjusted the shift cable in all three points as per the manual and still have not gotten it to move. I did for a second get it to click out of nowhere not sure how but it was only a few times and then nothing after. I am going to do a fresh oil change and filter on it tomorrow as it's going to need it and I think that the oil is low because the bike is very loud. I have worked on automotive motors but never a motorcycle. I really want to get this bike on the road so any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you

Keifer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you saying that it is stuck in neutral? And the gear changer wont go down or up? Yes, change the oil too. I doubt that loudness is the result of low. How about if you put the bike on the centre stand and turn the rear wheel (engine not running of course) what happens, pull the clutch in and see. If the gear changer wont go up or down as you turn the rear wheel, most likely the gear change mechanism is stuck somehow. Best o luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that it is stuck in neutral? And the gear changer wont go down or up? Yes, change the oil too. I doubt that loudness is the result of low. How about if you put the bike on the centre stand and turn the rear wheel (engine not running of course) what happens, pull the clutch in and see. If the gear changer wont go up or down as you turn the rear wheel, most likely the gear change mechanism is stuck somehow. Best o luck.
Yes the bike is stuck in nutrual I push the shift level up and down and it moves but will.not click.minus the one time.
How fast do I need to rotate the rear tire? If it does change gears what would be the issue?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The transmission is relatively simple, sometimes slowly rotating the rear wheel by hand allows the gears/shifter forks/etc to move more freely. Or frees it up. There are cogs on the gears that need to move into slots, sometimes they get stuck. Maybe because there is no oil? Or, broken is possible also. My advise if nothing works after a few tries with oil is to remove the gear change side cover and have a look see. There are numerous parts that work together that could be broken or stuck/seized. Have a look on Partzilla for your model bike at the transmission parts. Buy a repair manual too.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
You should also know that some of these bikes had a feature that prevented anyone from shifting into 2nd gear unless the bike was moving.

I would hate to see you adjust something, and then try a shift into 2nd and conclude that your adjustment did not work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: oil is changed and filter. I got it running and idling at just above 1000. I am posting a video to YouTube and I'll put it in this thread. I tried moving the tire and shifting gear and that did not work. A friend told me to run it with the oil to warm it up and try it then.

Video: 1980 kawasaki KZ 440LTD

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hear lots of clicking from the engine, might be valves in addition to the gear change problem. I suspect you have a problem with the shift mechanism. Thats why it wont engage. Take the LHS cover off and have a look see. There are cogs that engage the shifter drum causing it to rotate and engageing the gears. If a cog is broken, no gear change. Not that hard to repair. Did you look at Partzilla pages?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the help thus far. So I opened up where the shifter is and everything was in the correct spot and position on the left side of the bike. I did make another video of the bike off and listening to the shift noise.

Video: gear or clutch troubles

I think I need to open the right side to assess the clutch right? Does the oil sit in this area? So I need to drain the oil to work on the clutch and plates?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I doubt its the clutch, but looks like the shifter drum on your bike is on the RHS so you'll be able to see both when you take that cover off. Lots of work, gonna have to drain the oil and new gaskets. When you have that cover off you could turn the drum by hand to see if you can change gears.
BTW, the reason I say its likely not the clutch is that it will currently be engaged and cause the transmission shafts to be turning and thats ok. Just the gears wont slid on the spline shafts, maybe they are scored and wont move because of the prior low oil condition. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I doubt its the clutch, but looks like the shifter drum on your bike is on the RHS so you'll be able to see both when you take that cover off. Lots of work, gonna have to drain the oil and new gaskets. When you have that cover off you could turn the drum by hand to see if you can change gears.
BTW, the reason I say its likely not the clutch is that it will currently be engaged and cause the transmission shafts to be turning and thats ok. Just the gears wont slid on the spline shafts, maybe they are scored and wont move because of the prior low oil condition. Let us know what you find out.
The oil when I drained it was not low and I did not find metal shavings just a little bit of sediment. So the next course of action if I understand is I need to drain the oil and open up the right side and see if I can rotate the clutch? Or am I missing something? I did take the over off the shifter side and everything was lubricated and in the correct spot.

Additional question: as I was going through the drawing of the bike and doing more research there is a ball at the end of. The push rod. Could I snake the ball with a magnet from the LHS of the bike?

It appears that the person I bought it from was tinkering with it so maybe they forgot a piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: oil is drained pulled the plates out and soaked them in some oil. Thr little ball at the end of the push rod looks to be in place. I could not find my magnet to verify. I'm going to get a few more tools so I can pull the remaining parts on it.
Question any suggestion for tools to have? I have basic socket set and a torque wrench.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: So I have found the problem and it was as Alex_GPz said it was the shift mechanism. SO now I need to order the spring for the shift mechanism and the gasket for the clutch housing. Then I can put the whole bike back together as everything else looks good and see if this bike is going to run down the road. I have attached a picture of where I have reached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Nice work! Did you find the old spring? You don't want that floating around inside your engine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice work! Did you find the old spring? You don't want that floating around inside your engine
I did not find it and I looked and used a magnet searched all over the bike. So I am going to just hope that its no in the bike anymore. I am ordering the parts for this. I did not find the clutch gasket on partzilla but ebay had it so I am getting those and will update as I get the bike parts in and back together. I also ordered some replacement screws and the cover for the right side of the bike. I am so excited to have this bike running!

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
That is scary. If it were me, I would drop item 6 in order to get at the screen (item 8). The spring could be stuck to the back side of the screen where your magnet would not reach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is scary. If it were me, I would drop item 6 in order to get at the screen (item 8). The spring could be stuck to the back side of the screen where your magnet would not reach.

View attachment 42937
Thank you for the advise! I will be dropping that later today and see if I can find it. I have ordered the part but if I can find it and remove it I will. I have to wait a week or so. But im going to open it up there and search for it. Also I posted the video of the bike running. Will you listen to it and tell me what you think please

1 - 18 of 18 Posts