Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone can help me with trying to figure out how the En-454 LTD should be setup. whats its purpose.

There is a vacuum port off the back of the fuel petcock. where is this supposed to connect to?

there is a vacuum pump/valve that comes from the cylinder heads, where is this supposed to go? i assume its a pump of some kind.

there is also a vacuum/breather coming from the carb. where does that go?

there is no vacuum port coming out of the tank.

I don't use the original air box. I use cone air filters.

I currently have problems with the gas draining out of the carbs when the motorcycle is off. fuel petcock on.

i have rebuilt the carb and it helped for a bit, until it sat for a month and I started it up again.

My Clymers manual does not explain any of this and the only diagram is for emissions version with vent recirculation.

Please help...

-TF

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
TF,
Here's my best guess. The vacuum port on the petcock should have a hose going from it to a port somewhere on the carb rack. This should be what shuts off the fuel flow when the engine is stopped. If it's not working properly, fuel will flow all the time. If that is the case, your needle valve in the carb has to be perfectly seated, or eventually fuel will leak past and overflow the bowl.
The thing on the head is probably a breather tube that went to the airbox you no longer have.
The thing on the carb could be one of two things. If it is vacuum, it's probably meant to plug onto the fuel petcock. If it is a vent, it's probably meant to go down by the swingarm. I'm going to guess vacuum since you already have a vent peeing fuel, but you never know until you fire up the engine and see if the hose has vacuum on it.
Hope this helps, feel free to tell us more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok... i am tryin to figure this out still.. I made things in colors :)
Pink
Blue and
Red
are unknown.

these are the same carbs used on many ninja's and other kawasaki's from 80's to the 00's

side question.. if the Radiator cap could blow out the coolent to the tank, but not suck it back in.. would that cause the bike to overheat? I cant find anyone that can test the cap, but I did check the thermostat it seemed good. opened a little slow but then again I have never seen a good one. lol

I cant get the image to show on here so here is a link.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
I'm guessing blue and red go together, and pink goes nowhere since the airbox is gone. An actual picture might get a different answer, though.:) What year is this bike? A leaky head gasket might be letting exhaust gases pressurize the cooling system, preventing it from sucking anything back in when it cools. Retorquing the head bolts might yield some shocking surprises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the new Carb

1987 en454 ltd
I actually found the vent tube from the radiator cap to the reservoir was squashed between the frame and the coil. so this would let pressure and fluid out but nothing back in. I believe that this might be the overheat problem.. however I gota get it runin again.

Pink is some kind of Vacuum port. perhaps do deactivate the breather system at decel or something?

would it pull a vacuum from the air box?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lost.

ok.. update time.
i purchased a ninja 600 carb (same but different mounts). I cleaned out the carb bowl and some easy areas.. didnt go deep to avoid messing with anything. Mixture screw seal is still in there.

very similar problem to what I had before with the other carb when I was trying to get it to run.
Basically it requires full choke and a tad throttle to get it to run. when its cold it will start (after effort) and rev a bit then die.

now ... this carb being from a 600 I would think everything would be fueling more than enough.. so is it possible that it is timing?

I have the pink, blue, and red lines together. having the petcock shutoff working seems to help keep the bowls from spilling.
However the green line.. actually is two parts. but they both feed to the airbox (mine is severly damaged).
I use cone filters with some filter oil on em. the oil helps it run without.. it wont even try to start. :mad:

is the factory air box that darn restrictive?

i tried wraping some tape around the filters to restrict some flow.. but it did not seem to help.

the original carb had the float seats were possibly damaged along with everything in there being messed with. Jets were enlarged and mixture set to 4 turns out I think. :oops: thus why I am trying the unmolested one.

any ideas? I need to get this running.

-TF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.. I used the jets from previous that I had bored out.. to almost twice the whole size. were 35's it runs and runs pretty good now.
The mixture needle is set about 1 turn from seat.

however.. now the darn fuel dribles steady out the carb. once in awhile it will get so bad as to let the motor full throttle. (I believe that is because this).

the other problem I noticed is if I disconnect the battery while it runs.. it dies. sooo I have a charging problem also.

suggestions?

i need a filter for the carb... the screens on the petcock cracked badly last I pulled it apart so I broke em off and tossed em.
I used to be able to get a cheap 1$ lawn mower filter that worked good for this.. they were small. everything I have found lately.. has been to long or large. any ideas where to look?

I also found this to be very helpful!!!!
Harley Keihin CV Carburetor images

-TF

·
Registered
24 Posts
the vaccum runs off the airbox.If you dont have the airbox you will encounter the problem you currently have.An airbox is more than just an airbox.They are designed to flow the correct amount of air to your carbs,manufacturers have spent millions of dollars designing these things so your engines runs properly.Removing your airbox and putting on cone filters eliminates any forced air which is to be supplied to the carbs,your airbox is designsed to do these things,it just doesnt hold air.If you put the airbox back on and hook it up properly to the vacuum your problems will disappear.Your bike is meant to run with an airbox.You can buy block off plates for the vaccum but it wont resolve your fuel issue.I have the same basic vacuum system on my 86zx1000r.I had to rebuild my carbs ($50),that resolved my fuel seepage issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunately.. the stock air box has holes in it and missing a couple parts.
I cant find a air box that is worth buying or cheap enough. -TF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update....
Ok I got it running good now. runs rich but good.
however i had to disconnect all the vacuum lines and bypass the vac shut off in the Fuel petcock. :-( the Red line does not pull enough vacuum to actuate the petcock.

What is this Red line supposed to do?

I believe that when I connect it to the petcock directly.. it creates enough vacuum but will not release it.. thus holding the float open and creating a run on problem with the motor. The emissions tubes (brown) on the top of the head.. I will probably delete later.

2nd... the bike has to be connected to a battery for it to run. if I disconnect it while running it will shut off???????
does it use the battery as a buffer or something?

i checked the charging system and it is fine.

3rd.... the Cooling system seems to be corrected now. The tube that goes between the bottle and the fill neck. Basically when pressure would increase in the cooling system it would let it out through the cap and out that tube then into the reservoir.. but when it cooled back down it would not suck any of the coolant back in... because the line was squashed between the ignition coil and the frame.

fun fun

-TF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts