Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just purchased a blue 09' Vulcan 900 Custom two days ago. Love the bike. I was told by the salesman that if I did not have a certified Kawasaki shop do the first service that it would void the manufacturer's warranty. Is that so and if not, what can I do myself to cover the service. New to bikes, but I am mechanically inclined. Slowing down from hot rods and moving to the Real two wheel ones. Much more fun! Look forward to your replies. To Cruise is a scriptual requirement.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Totally bogus!

Now, where are the mandatory pictures of your new ride..?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If you live in the US, that's BS.
Get it in writing and take it to your DA. That is a criminal (federal) violation.

If you live in Canada or another country, it MAY be the case... I don't know.

In the US, the Magnusson-Moss act protects us from dealer gouging. If that service were required, there would be nothing to stop the dealer from charging you $1,000 for it.
Magnusson-Moss DOES allow for manufacturers to require dealer service using OEM parts, but if that is the case, they must furnish those parts AND labor at no charge.
Also, if non-OEM or other aftermarket parts have been installed and there is a failure, before the manufacturer can refuse to service the vehicle under warranty, they must PROVE that the aftermarket parts or service is what caused the failure in the first place.
If your steering head bearings go out, they can't point to your pipes and intake and claim that your warranty is void.

You DO need to have actual warranty service performed at the dealer in order for it to be covered, but routine maintenance can be performed by any qualified wrench, including yourself, as long as you keep your receipts and document the work performed.
My '06 has not been back to the dealer in 32,000 miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
On top of all that, you will probably do a much better job than the dealer anyway.
I let them do my service through the break-in period, mainly for documentation.
My 1100 Spirit never saw the dealer after break-in, except for tires, and I put 18,000 troublefree miles on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts