Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 2 months of riding, I've finally hit the 500 mile mark on my
'04 Ninja 250. I'll call my dealer this week and make an appointment for the 500 mile service.
When I purchased my motorcycle, I was told that this service would cost about $180. My question for everyone here.....
what should I expect to get for my money?
The manual says this service should include:
=Carb Synchronization
=Idle speed check
=Throttle Play adjust
=Valve Clearance Check
=Air cleaner - clean
=Brake fluid check
=Clutch adjustment
=Oil & Filter change
=Adjust & lube chain
=Tighten nuts,bolts,fasteners
I'd say $180 is a fair price to pay for ALL of this.

Other questions...
Is partial disassembly of the engine required to check valve clearance, or is it possible for them to somehow check this electronically (by checking valve timing???)>?

If valve adjustment is required, would it be fair to expect an additional charge for this service (or is that a PART of the valve clearance check)?

Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
From all I've read about the Dealer service is a waste of money for some. Especially if you turn your own wrenches... I did mine on my motorcycle for free, minus the carb synch. I couldn't afford taking it to a dealer so I didn't.

Most shops assume that checking something is separate from adjusting something. If they don't assume this they might charge you for adjusting something that you didn't want them to.

Anyways good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Aikata - Do your carb sync. It is really easy to do. I did mine the first time in 20 minutes and what I spent on the vacuum gauge was cheaper than having the dealer do it!

You can either make a manometer or purchase one like a motion pro for 35.00. If you want a better one that is easier to use get a carbtuner II available online at http://www.carbtune.com/.

They even have pictures how to do it and there are other links of how people did it themselves!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, the valve adjustment involves some disassembling. And yes they do everything on the list. Did mine a few weeks ago was $145.00, I changed my own oil & filter. They said a couple of my valves were to tight. They did the adjustment as part of the service.

·
Registered
487 Posts
simon
I had the dealer do my check and they went over the bike like they were going to send their own child out on it. of course not every dealer is as good as these guys, there are some shady charcters out there. by the way they did the service for $75 because I bought the bike there. they even let me in the shop when they did the service so I could see what all to check so I could do it myself. imagine a dealer taking money out of their own pocket :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vaporgas2000 from MO

vaporgas2000
I see that you are in Missouri....
Are you near Kansas City? If so, what dealer did you use for your
service? I'll go there!!

Thanks!! :?:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts