Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to decide which bike to get. I am a first time rider and just want some "insider" info on the bikes other then what the deal will tell me. I will mainly be using this bike for my get me to work and home . Of course there will be the country joy rides with the Ms .... Thanks ahead of time ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was trying to decide which bike to get. I am a first time rider and just want some "insider" info on the bikes other then what the deal will tell me. I will mainly be using this bike for my get me to work and home . Of course there will be the country joy rides with the Ms .... Thanks ahead of time ..
With me bigger is better especially if you are going to ride two up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a ER6-n last summer and found that the 650 power plant has more than enough power for the two us to enjoy a good get around togeather. I also use my bike as my daiy street fighter. It has the jam, torque and fun that a new rider will really enjoy.

I can say this with confidence because I am a new rider and haven't road in 15 years.

Thank you for your time.

·
Kawasaki Dude
309 Posts
Have owned both.You should be happy with either one.Will probably save some money with a 500 (purchase price)though.

·
Ninja500 Xpert
140 Posts
Personally it's just a matter of preference. I have a '06 Ninja500 and I like it over any 650 I've ever seen. A friend of mine owns one and I think it's ugly as hell. And honestly I have never had much of a problem keeping up with him.(of course maybe I'm just more of a daredevil than him 8) )

The biggest difference in my mind would be that if it is a newer 650 it should be Fuel Injected. The 500 is carbureted, parallel twin carbs actually. The nice thing about the 650 would be not having to worry about choking it in cold weather and such. I HATE THAT aspect of it, and will definitely go FI for my next bike. Also the 650 can probably handle a lil more weight, but I will say my 500 has no problem getting up to 125mph with me AND a passenger!

ME? I'm kind of partial to the 500 simply cuz I own one, it's beautiful, and I've done alot of custom cosmetics.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Which one do YOU like better? ~ I've owned both (07' 500R and 07' 650R). The 500R is a great bike, but nobody can deny the fact that the technology/appearance is outdated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was comparing them, but with the 500s being virtually unchanged since the 1980s (when it was developed), for about $1500 more you get a 650 with a new engine that's actually smaller (physically) and lighter, more current styling (I like the 06-08s), and the plasma blue metallic of 07... SOLD.

The 600 is a 'crotch rocket'. It is stopped, or screaming fast. The 650 is a little slower (~12.5 in the quarter is NOT slow), but is more than happy to putter around at 3000rpm, and will pull to 9k. This is why I got it as a first bike- easy on me when I'm easy on the throttle, and it's a thrill when you get on it. I kinda think of the 500 as a late 1980s Ninja with 0 miles on it.

I had it until the Kawi Credit plan (sucks) was coming to the point where the interest went up, so I got a 900 Vulcan to get out of it, and to get something that's more comfortable for her. The slanted passenger seat isn't the most comfortable place for long rides (650 seat is way better than a 600 seat, but my 900 is the comfort king... and a snail compared to the sportier bikes).

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
sit on them both see how they fit you...i would gor for 650r for durability and resale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts