Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was stolen last night (or early this morning). It is a red/black 2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX250. It is almost completely stock, except for the rear turn signals. Check my web site for the pics. It has about 2,750 miles on it.

Please keep an eye out for it, including 2001 parts on Ebay, CycleTrader, or anywhere else you can think of. If you have any other ideas how I can recover this bike, I would love to hear them.

I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. The bike was parked in my underground parking spot with my car. Interestingly enough, they left the Lexus LS400 alone and took the bike instead, even though the car is worth several times the value of the bike. I do not have comprehensive insurance. I have both keys. The license plate reads 82-591, and it expires in February 2005. I reported it to the St. Paul police.

I am offering a $500 reward for information leading to the conviction (or severe pummelling) of the thieves. You can reach me on the board here or 646-435-9706 or 651-592-8367. Thanks.
Curt

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lousy news Curt. Especially that you are not covered for theft!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss, Stuart. :( My parent's house was recently broken into and all my mom's jewelry (including irreplaceable anniversary and baby rings), a coin collection spanning over 30 years, and some electronics were taken. So, my family has felt the sting of thieves, too.

If I may ask, was your bike secured? Were the forks locked? Were you using any other theft deterrent e.g. a disc lock. I'm new to motorcycles and just interested in learning a bit about how to protect my investment. I know that making your bike theft-proof is nearly impossible, but I am trying to learn ways to deter theft. TIA.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ignition/forks were locked, but I did not have any other locks on it.

You are right that no lock is 100% secure. We just want to make it more difficult for the thieves so they'll shop elsewhere. That usually works for me. There are three other bikes that regularly park in the same garage, including a Honda Intercepter and a Harley. I just figured one of those would go first. I guess it didn't work this time.

So that means that my next bike will have a super-duper alarm system.
Curt

·
Registered
408 Posts
Neo said:
Very sorry to hear about your loss, Stuart.
Ooops! Sorry, I should have said, "Curt." Thank you for overlooking my mistake.

·
Registered
408 Posts
risdo said:
Bike thieves should be treated like horse thieves. 'Nuff said.
Yeah, the police officer who wrote the report on the burglary of my parents' house actually suggested the purchase of a firearm for home defense and said, "None of us [police officers] would cry if a burglar got shot in the act." However, it wouldn't have helped in this case because (thankfully) no one was home when the guy broke in.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DARN!

Keep checking e-Bay for parts...Calling all of the dealers in your area. hotline...I can see where a decal, small but distinct would keep the FORUM guys all looking...that way even if the police saw the decal they could ask someone about it...unless they were a Fourm member (like 100%chance NOT) then they could just haul the thief away...I'd think that even a Master lock through the chain and sprocket on the rear and one through the front brake rotor would suffice...I guess I should, too consider an alarm system to be installed on my future Kawasaki...especially after all this time looking...KEEP LOOKING Curt! I hope that you get the bad guy, some punk without a license and they make him do community service like sweeping parking lots of bike dealers, or toss the book at him...his choice, as long as not allowing him to drive ANYTHING for the next year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts