Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got another newbie question... What is the recommended RPM range for cruising on 500R? I found that I can go in the 5th or 6th gear at 50 mph and the engine sounds good (4500 RPMs). However, I have to kick about two-three gears down if I want to accelerate. At the same time, I can go 50 mph being in the 3rd. It puts the tacho needle at about 6500 RPMs and the bike is much more responsive. There is a lot of room before the red line begins but I begin to think that the higher engine speed would result in a faster engine wear, plus, decreased fuel efficiency.

The problem is that having almost no experience (well, I know some stuff about cars though) I cannot estimate the severity of consequences of running it at higher engine speed. I've heard to completely different opinions from two experienced guys, one rides Yamaha FZ1 and another one rides a 1-liter GSX-R. The Yamaha guy says that he prefers lower RPMs while the Gixer guy says that he rides around the city not higher than in the third gear and swares that it is negligible in terms of the egine load and wear.

What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm riding a 2002 ZX-9R. When I'm going about 25-30 I'm in 3rd, when I'm at 35-40 I'm in 4th, 45ish I'm in 5th, anything above 50 I'm in 6th. Yes, being in lower gears makes your bike more responsive, but for me its plenty responsive at all of those engine speeds. You'll also have to take into account I'm running about 400cc larger bike than you. When I'm crusing in town my RPM is normaly about 3k, when I get up to 60 its about 4k in 6th gear. I would consider running anything higher than 5k racing the engine and only needed if you're really getting into it. If you are running to high of RPM you can tell by just letting off the gas. If you are thrown forward by the engine braking the bike you're in too low of gear for your speed. When you let off the gas you should feel it pull a bit but not an over excecive amount. I've driven a clutch since I learned to drive. If you're worried about responce time just remember to down shift 1 or 2 gears before you try to take off.

·
Registered
429 Posts
evolver said:
At the same time, I can go 50 mph being in the 3rd. It puts the tacho needle at about 6500 RPMs and the bike is much more responsive. There is a lot of room before the red line begins but I begin to think that the higher engine speed would result in a faster engine wear, plus, decreased fuel efficiency.
I also have a 500R and I ususally stick to 4th gear in 30MPH zones. I know what you are saying about being more responisive at higher RPMs and totally agree. I am always in 6th on the highway, but if I see some nice twisties coming up, I usually kick it down a few gears, then go back up to 6th after passing through them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ride a 2003 500R and try not to run under 3 rmp at anytime. I find it riding smoothest around inner city speeds at about 3.5-4.5 rpm, and if I have to speed up quickly for some reason, the bike is very responsive when I'm in this range. I'm usually only ever in 6th gear if I'm over 60 km/hr (Canadian rider).

I also don't ride under 3 rpm because I find the engine rough sounding and it seems to almost chug when trying to accelerate fast under 3 rpm.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
At 3k RPM, no, you will not have very much power to accelerate. But when you're just crusing around do you need it? You can always down shift to get the power when you need it. I guess I've been driving clutches long enough that these machines are more like an extention of my own body. I go by the feel and the sound. I only have to look at my tack when I'm riding with a bunch of noisy Harleys :lol: . 3k is about the lowest I go though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, guys, thanks for your feedback! Now I think I finally formed my opinion that the original strategy to keep it in 4-6K range is something that many riders follow. So do I :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, it's called your powerband, if you're in it you should be able to twise the throttle and feel pretty much instand response...

Always be prepared to drop it down a gear or be in your powerband should you ever have to accelerate due to some dumbass behind you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts