Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1999 Kawasaki 500R, and have been doing maintenance and cleaning it up and making it perty. So this past weekend I was talking with my father about taking the ninja decals off, as they are quite ugly. Today I got home from school and my father misinterpreted me and removed all of the decals, except for the decals on the tank. Even the black trimming. So now I have an all red 500, except for the tank decals. What do you all think I should do with it? Are they any sticker sets that I could get and put on there that would improve the cosmetics? What would you do?

Thank you,
New with no clue

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
As a person who had an '03 500R as a first bike (ergo the same bike but mine was blue/purple opposed to your red) do the following:

• Step back 10' away and look at the bike...admire it for it's 80's styling.
  • Now sit on the bike and notice something, "...hey, I can't see anything but the tank, the instrument cluster, the windscreen and the road in front of me...".
  • Realize that the stickers don't matter and that there are a lot of other things to pay attention to when you're riding (like the aforementioned road).
  • Ride the bike like a mo-fo and enjoy yourself when you do.
Despite popular belief, stickers do not add hp or increase the value of the bike (although if they're ugly, they can decrease the value).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that, im not looking for better performance or a higher value, I just want to work on it to make it something that I can be truly proud of and looks pretty. But the only thing about the stickers being missing is that the bike is now two colors of red as teh previous owner left it out in the sun for extended period of time, so there is a brighter red where the black stickers used to be and a darker red everywhere else. Im just looking to make it look a little nicer.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi this is completley off topic but i have alot of question about my 250 that i just bought (my first bike) and this is the first time i signed up for a forum thing and i cant even figure out how to write a new post. can someone tell me i honestly dont know how to start a new post/question.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to the category that you want to post your new thread and at the top left above the other threads there is a button that says new post, click on that and your golden.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I understand that, im not looking for better performance or a higher value, I just want to work on it to make it something that I can be truly proud of and looks pretty. But the only thing about the stickers being missing is that the bike is now two colors of red as teh previous owner left it out in the sun for extended period of time, so there is a brighter red where the black stickers used to be and a darker red everywhere else. Im just looking to make it look a little nicer.
Thanks
I think I kind of missed the mark: I meant to say that stickers don't matter (hence the joke about the popular belief that stickers add value). You can be proud of the bike if you take care of it and keep it in good shape and can ride the hell out of it. It's unfortunate that there's a little sun fade in the fairings but IMHO, that's better than placing some questionably tasteful after-market stickers.

I rode my 500R into a dirt berm resulting in a dented tank, a "Frankesteined" front fairing and scratched up chin fairing. But you know what I got compliments on after a forum ride that I took part in? Not my bike buy my riding. Let me tell you, compliments on ability are a hundred times more gratifying than compliments on a bike's look. And really, as fellow 500R owners...who are we trying to fool when we think our little Ninja's are "pretty" other than ourselves. I say enjoy the bike for what it is: a great smaller cc all around bike.

But if you're still adamant about "prettying" up the bike, go here for ideas (there are some members that are as die-hard as you sound about the 500R): Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R - Index

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just picked up a 1999 Kawasaki 500R, and have been doing maintenance and cleaning it up and making it perty. So this past weekend I was talking with my father about taking the ninja decals off, as they are quite ugly. Today I got home from school and my father misinterpreted me and removed all of the decals, except for the decals on the tank. Even the black trimming. So now I have an all red 500, except for the tank decals. What do you all think I should do with it? Are they any sticker sets that I could get and put on there that would improve the cosmetics? What would you do?

Thank you,
New with no clue
Here's a start

1 - 7 of 7 Posts