Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have been seriously thinking about changing the exhaust on my 2000 500r. I want a single can so I was thinking of getting a Vance and Hines ssr. first, does it sound good. not too loud but has a nice low noise. second, can I keep the center stand with that model. third, do I really have to replace the air filter and finally do I have to re jet and which stage?. I don't really want to play with the carbs. Thanks. anyone have the V&H have any comments positive or negative? Thanks.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I'll let you know how it sounds by the end of the week 8)

I'm Getting the V&H SSR installed on Thursaday, along with a K&N Air Filter, and a rejet. Also throwing in the Denso Iridium Spark plugs.

I also do beleive that the V&H allows you to keep the center stand.

·
364 Posts
As I think about it, I'll do something for everyone who wants to know what a V&H sounds like on an EX500 (Ninja 500R).

I'll record a sound clip of the bike's exhaust when it get's done this week and post a link to it on here when I get my bike back.

It's not that hard, I've done it with my car before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to my dealer and they said it was shop labour of 180 to do jet kit, plus 86 for the jet kit. I have never done anything like this before. Is it hard? What if I don't have everything at the same time, can I put the exhaust on for awhile before jetting? what type of K&N do I get, they have a regular or one you modify the air box. for a stage 3 do I just get the regular? what if I just change the air filter without doing anything else for awhile, will it screw up anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
here is a guide for installing a jet kit in a ex500.
http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/Install_a_jet_kit_ex250,ex500,Rocky.html

(very handy)

here is a guide for tuning in after rejetting that'll work for any high revving engine.
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Full exhaust w/o rejetting will run the motor lean. This is very very bad for the motor, I would not suggest running this setup. K&N pods or air box will also cause the motor to run lean. But if you are going to rejet the carbs do everything at once. Install the pipes, air filter (pods or replacement K&N). and then rejet your carbs. They usually come with multiple sets of jets and the instructions will tell you which ones you will likely use with whatever setup you use.

I rejetted my carbs after about a month of having my bike, it was very easy to do, although it took me awhile to get everything tuned in. If you have some decent mechanical skills (I don't even own a decent tool set and I still have the very minimal skills required) and a good feel for your bike then you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
IRIDIUM PLUGS

The plugs don't like the cold start up and will act funny till they are totally hot. IF you think the bike is acting up or is not running right...switch back to the regular plugs befory you think that something else is wrong. I've run into this with everything from 2 strokes (weed eater) my own car 350 Chevrolet, and even had several people on the FORUM with the problem as well. I would suggest the if you do get them that you try them out at first and if they start to act up run the RPM's up to get them hot...before you make any judgement on them...I think that once you get them to the proper heat range they seem to run just fine...it's just getting them ther in the first place. Lugging them around town just won't get you ther and they will eventually foul unless you keep them hot. Just my $0.02 worth...

·
Registered
429 Posts
rlovrin1 said:
As I think about it, I'll do something for everyone who wants to know what a V&H sounds like on an EX500 (Ninja 500R).

I'll record a sound clip of the bike's exhaust when it get's done this week and post a link to it on here when I get my bike back.

It's not that hard, I've done it with my car before.
--I just got my first bike....2004 ninja 500R and was lookin through here to see that u are from little falls. I went to school there till 8th grad then graduated from ilion and in college in oneonta now....I was just wondering who else rides from little falls.

·
364 Posts
r409z said:
--I just got my first bike....2004 ninja 500R and was lookin through here to see that u are from little falls. I went to school there till 8th grad then graduated from ilion and in college in oneonta now....I was just wondering who else rides from little falls.
Oh ****, didn't think anyone local look at this board :D

Not many that I know of ride locally, except a group of dumb a$$es that do wheelies down route 5 from Little Falls to Herkimer with the girls on the back.

Myself, I ride with a couple of friends and my parents. I'm hoping to find some group of responsible people to ride with for this summer though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
rlovrin1 said:
r409z said:
Oh ****, didn't think anyone local look at this board :D

Not many that I know of ride locally, except a group of dumb a$$es that do wheelies down route 5 from Little Falls to Herkimer with the girls on the back.

Myself, I ride with a couple of friends and my parents. I'm hoping to find some group of responsible people to ride with for this summer though.
I would be down....im rather inexpierienced too so it would be good to ride with someone more expierienced. What is your overall opinion on the 500? Reading these boards is making me nervous of wiping out. Its like everyone is planning on it, well im not and hopefully it doesnt happen. I still havent even gotten my license. The dealer didnt care that i took it. I was gonna take my road test but I think the 500 might be a little too big to pull some tight figure 8's on. I wish i knew someone that had a 120 i could borrow. I might just wait a few weeks and cough up 3 Ben's to take the course and do it that way.

·
364 Posts
Well, I've driven a Honda XR250L, Honda 750 Nighthawk, and the Kawasaki Ninja 500R. In that order :lol:

The XR250L was the best for doing my Road Test on. It's a dual sport bike, so it's great at low speed turns, you can almost just idle through the figure 8 cause the gearing in 1st is so low.

For figure 8's, I don't like the 500R, it's not too good. I've noticed when I tried to do a figure 8 on the same roads I used to practice on, it's way harder. Normally the grips hit the fairing/mirror. I've also noticed that the 500R hates low speed turns.

My opinion of the 500R, I love it!! I bought it because I knew sport bikes were more powerfull than most cruisers, so I figured it was cheap enough, and considered to be an entry level bike. I've made some dumb mistakes on it, almost went down a couple of times, but that is what bikes do when you get cocky. You get cocky, the bike straightens you out. One thing even an avid motorcyclist will tell you, either you've dumped a bike, or you will.

I'd suggest you do take the MSF class for the 300 beans. Not only will you not have to take the road test, but you'll get 10% off your insurance for your motorcycle, and they supply the 250cc motorcycles to use for their course. Plus, you get to learn more than most riders who haven't taken a course and have been riding for 20+ years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of things

Would love to hear and see the exhaust when you get it on the bike.

Also, I am new and have monitoring the boards for a little while and noticed that although there are intro sections, it is hard to search and find riders in your area. So to help this I created a quick little sub web off my personal one where us EX riders can input our location information so you can find otehr riders in your area, or an area you may be visiting. IT is located here:

http://www.paigecomputing.com/ex500/ex500.htm

Take care,
Have fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts