Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2005 500R into the shop for it's first 600 mile work. I picked it up and got a few blocks and the engine siezed. The shop sent a truck down the road to pick the bike up and take it back and they're working on it now - but what else should I do? I don't know any policies on this and I don't want a rebuilt engine messing with my resale (This is my first bike, going to upgrade in a year or two). So what else should I do? Please help.

-GFunk

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so what happened ? what did you have the shop do for you ? sounds like they had an incompetent tech do the service and im betting he forgot to put oil in it. was the oil light on (if the ex has one :?: )
if it ran perfect when it went in then its something they did in the shop. i would hold them responsible. did you ride the bike to the garage to have the service done ?
its too bad you didnt check the oil BEFORE they took it back to the shop. now they can cover their tracks/fix their mistake.
i dont want to hear all the crap thats going to come along now like ...... NEVER USE A SHOP CAUSE THEY SCREW EVERYTHING UP......THEY ARE ONLY AFTER MONEY AND PROB. DID THIS ON PURPOSE........BIKE MECH. SUCK.....etc....... :roll: im a bike mech. and i WONT be making mistakes on bikes because i care about YOU AND YOUR BIKE like it was my own. 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had oil in it, checked that. It was my first tune up, so it HAD to be done at a dealer for the warrenty. I don't know much about bike engines, but right after it siezed I checked around. The chain was fine, the rear tire spun easily in neutral. There was plenty of oil in the gauge glass. Beats me. When I tried to start it, there starter made a loud *click* and that was about it.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
GFunk said:
When I tried to start it, there starter made a loud *click* and that was about it.
are you sure its seized up ? did it lock the wheel up when it "SEIZED" up ? if not then i doubt its seized up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheel didn't lock, but the tranny made a grinding sound until I pulled the clutch in...which was a bout 1/2 a second. I didn't think it was siezed for the same reason. But it happened very fast. Not like it stopped making a spark or something - the engine instantly stopped spinning, end it wouldn't wind back up when I was moving and released the clutch. That and the starter thing is a bit fishy. But what could they have done? They changed the oil and adjusted the valves.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
wish i knew. but they screwed up somewhere since it ran perfect when it came in. let us know how it goes.
good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot I had made this post. I got my bike back a week later and they said one of the pins that held the head on wasn't properly seated and fell into the engine (Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees :p ) I assume it got into the timing chain. They said the only damage was 4 bent valves but they ended up taking the whole engine apart and rebuilding it to make sure. They were really sweating and treated me very nicely after that. They kept thanking me for pulling the clutch when I first heard the ticking noise. Darn mechanics. Maybe I should open a service manual.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
good to hear. now that WAS mechanic error. i watch those locating pins VERY closely on all the 4-wheelers i work on.
glad they are taking care of you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
at least they realized it was their fault.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just a question, if an engine seizes while you are riding, i assume the rear tire will lock up, but will it spin freely if you pull in the clutch?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the engine locks and you pull in the clutch the tire sg=hould free wheel. If the tranny locks even pulling in the clutch will leave the rear tire locked till the bike stops.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
QKENUF4U,
If you lived in the panhandle FL I would sooooo be hiring your butt to finish Sassy! :) Not all of us are lucky enough to have wrenches who care as much as you do. Give yourself a round of applause from us for all you do!

·
Registered
439 Posts
ditto CQ's comment to Quickie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts