Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good tips for dealing with the lack of fuel gauge on this thing?

I figure the best system is to track the mileage on the trip meter and resetting it to zero every time I fill the tank... then stopping for a top-off when you reach the specified miles (around 160?). That said -- What's the rough estimate of how many miles you get out of the tank before hitting the reserve?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I just watch the miles like you described, its not too hard, you get used to it. If you do have to hit reserve then you have like 20-40 miles to find a gas station.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Depending on how I drive I can normally get between 180 and 200 miles before I have to hit the reserve. 206 right now being my max.

And yes, with 2 trip odometers I use the one on the speedometer, resetting it to zero every time I fill it. And I always fill it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do the mileage thing...after a while you can get pretty good by shaking the tank. Used to do all the time on my GSX-r 750.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good -- I figure I'll refill every 150 miles or so just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for tips everyone! :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, there is no harm in hitting the reserve, so unless you are on a big trip and you happen to know that there isn't a gas station in the next 50 miles then you might as well hit that reserve and cut down on your gas stops.

Warning: I recently went onto reserve on my way home from school and decided to stop at home first. this led to staying at home for a long time and when I went out on my ride I remember as I hit 38 on the reserve tank that I needed gas, well, I was able to coast up to the gas station and hit the kill button before I did any damage :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only concern with using reserve is that at some point the engine will sputter once the main tank runs dry (before switching to RES)... and I imagine this could have consequences were I in a tight turn or something. *THUMP*

But maybe I'm just overly-paranoid...

·
Registered
605 Posts
nah, it isn't a spontaneous thing, trust me, I like to make 400 mile trips every weekend, it's more like, poor throttle response then if you drive like that too long it just stop giving acceleration.

My trips involve the mountain twisties at high speeds so trust me when I was concerned about that at first.

·
Registered
456 Posts
cincnorad said:
I figure the best system is to track the mileage on the trip meter and resetting it to zero every time I fill the tank...
Lot's of people do it that way. I keep my fuel data on my Pocket PC so I can use the trip odometer for trips. Still, I almost never fill up before hitting reserve.

Like Stuart said, hitting reserve is no big deal. The bike loses some power, so you reach down and flip the petcock without missing a beat. Lots of people use the reserve as their fuel gauge. They never know they're low on gas until they hit reserve, then they stop at the next convenient gas station.

1Adam12 said:
after a while you can get pretty good by shaking the tank.
I gotta try that.

TrashMonkey said:
Though I've heard its good to run on reserve once in a while . . . Anyone else hear that?
I think it's very important to run the reserve once in a while. Water, sediments, and crud tend to settle to the bottom of the fuel tank. If you never use reserve, this stuff will stay there. (Actually detergents in gasoline will take out some of the water, but I'll ignore that for the moment.) One day when you finally need to use the reserve it's full of all this junk, and your carb says, "Ooo, ick! What IS this stuff?" I think it's better to bleed it out a little at a time, so I think it's a good idea to run the tank pretty low (well into reserve.) It's also a good idea to install a fuel filter.

On my last fillup I put in 4.787 gallons on my 4.8 gallon tank. Even allowing for some error in the gas pump, that's pretty far down there! By the way that's 290.4 miles at 60.7 miles per gallon, but that's on my 250.
Curt

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
cincnorad said:
My only concern with using reserve is that at some point the engine will sputter once the main tank runs dry (before switching to RES)... and I imagine this could have consequences were I in a tight turn or something. *THUMP*

But maybe I'm just overly-paranoid...
Practice standing still changing from run to reserve and then do it on the bike in an empty parking lot...Graduate to the road and practice it. It's not as bad as you think.

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, first time I ran out, I had already practiced because when you have two fuel petcocks and you have to move both the left and right hand at different times, you have to get good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts