Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just got a 2003 ninja 500 last night. It has 4000 miles on it right now and so I was wondering when it should be serviced. I heard 5000 miles, but I wasn't sure. Will I be able to do the maintanence myself, or will I have to take it in? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What is your experience with wrenching? Do you do work on your car? If this is all new to you - take it to the mechanic and start out with the simple things like oil changes, cable lubes and brake fluid. You'll have to gain more experience to do the valves.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd change the oil and filter right away, and clean and lubricate the chain. Those are probably the most important maintenance items. Then buy yourself a service manual (Haynes, Clymer, or Kawasaki) and follow their specifications. There are a lot of things to be checked every so often: air filter, spark plugs, cables, tire pressure, fluids, lights, valves, brakes, etc.

If you'd rather have a dealer do the work, then tell him what you just told us. He'll probably have a nice long list of things to do. You'd better bring your checkbook.
Curt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts