Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my 500R around on the highway with only one problem. I haven't crossed the 500mile/4K RPM brak in range. As of tonight i only have around 200 miles on it. Will it damage the bike if I continue to take it on the highway and have to go about 4200-4600 to keep it up to highway speed? I would just take my time but I already tried that and people in cars are just disrespectful following a while 4 feet behind me..... Please help!!!-

Also, the low beam seems to suck a lot on the highway. Any suggestions? There are only 3 things i do not like about this bike...crappy low beam, crappy mirrors and useless helmet lock.

Anyone in the CNY area??

·
Registered
102 Posts
No, you won't damage anything. I would give it a couple hundred more miles before I brought it up to redline, but cruising 5k RPM isn't going hurt anything. FYI, though, cruising during break-in, whether at 10k RPM or 2k RPM, isn't a good way to break it in. You need to speed up and cruise back down (in gear, closed throttle). 20 or 30 mile stretches won't hurt anything, but don't try to get 500 miles on the bike as fast as possible by sitting on the highway.

Edit: And I'm in the Rochester area.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
On my 500R, I used different bulbs ( 6,000K Super white Xenon/Krypton bulbs with a blue tint ), plus readjusted the beam so the low-beam was farther out away from the bike.

For the helmet locks, use these:

Helmet Lock extensions. You can pick them up for about $5.99 from www.denniskirk.com

For the crappy mirrors, not much I can suggest. I'm still trying to find a solution.

When I broke in my 500R, I did 55MPH on Route 5s from Little Falls to Utica for work, which I beleive is a couple hundred RPM above recommended RPM's. You should be fine.

(I'm From Little Falls, NY)

·
Registered
102 Posts
rlovrin1 said:
For the crappy mirrors, not much I can suggest. I'm still trying to find a solution.
One of my mirrors is from a Honda. Early 90s sportbike, no idea what model it was, I think 900cc (someone who knows Honda bikes better may be able to piece that together). Anyway, it looks just like the other one, but it's about an inch longer. Just long enough to see past my elbows.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the same problem with my mirrors. With all the padding on my Joe Rocket jacket I cannot see directly behind me! If anyone finds some mirrors that work and are longer please let me know too.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Its not just JR gear, my arms w/o a jacket are still in the way. The mirrors on these things all seem to be slapped on and not very useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts