Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2003 500r about six months ago and want to do something tto give a little extra on the low end. I know a 41 on the rear is stock, should I go with something like 45 or 48 and do I have to change the front one also? What's the labor on something like this, is it something that can be done in an afternoon and with normal tools or would it be better to take it somewhere and have them install it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd rader go with 15T front sprocket. Very easy to replace, you don't need longer chain, cost you less than $15 and give you that you want. Bigger rear sprocket is heavier and small bikes like EX500 will feel it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Spending money wisely...

The smartest place to start is the tires...go to a rear 150 with a smaller profile say 50 or 55 series...chat with Freakinout... I'm a big fan of lower speeds, and having lots, make that (LOTS) of lower end power to use. I believe in havin gfun but being careful...Bring down your front sprocket by one tooth and you will have a completely different bike. It will pick up speed faster and you will have to watch the launches in first and second, and if you ride real hhard, watch third as well...just remember that ther is a rear brake to keep the front end from getting to high in the air...eveh while the bike is accelerating. Should you like the idea of perhaps doing just a little more than that initially...order a complete set of sprockets and chain at the same time saving you some change in the LONG run. Order 1 tooth smaller for the front and 2 or 3 more (larger) for the rear...and a longer chain. Order a good set. You will be amazed at the difference! your Rocket launches will be awesome, and you will eat up some great tires in nothing flat. Stock tires will slide and smoke, and make you very nervous if you try to ride the bike like you normally would. should they actually get hot enough you will get upset when the front end comes off of the ground in 3rd, and it warbles when you do a redline shift in 4th. It's not fun of safe by the time you get to those speeds to lose it...and the tires will lose their grip as they wear... Personally, once again, I enjoy the POWER. You will lose TOP-END, and you will lose gas mileage, and tires will come iinto play when you choose to play hard...but without the changes you can't play this hard. The guys (some of them) will agree with me that the MAXIMUM SPEED LIMIT is posted at 75 so anything above a comfortable cushion of that to red-line is just that....a cushion. You could set your bike up so that it would cruise at 75 at 2500RPM, and get some great mileage on the open road...I say SO what? I'm a peg-scrapper, and love to wear out the rubber on the pedals. when you start grinding on parts like the centerstand...it's time to remove the dead weight and get a stand at home, or a jack to crank it up on. Get rid of things that you don't need, heavy things or things with major parasitic drag...the rear fender can be shaved, or completely removed, the turn signals can be replaced, or placed in a diffferent place, the seat can be shaved if you are a little tall, or long legged, the windscreen can be reordered if you are taller in the upper torso all keeping you in the slipstream on the bike. Probably the best money tha tyou can spend is not only the Basic MSF course but the Advanced MSF course. It can teach you not only something about bikes, but more importantly about yorself and your weaknesses! I'm VERY serious. ASK someone about this...IF you need any Ideas about how to go any faster using bike parts then have a chat with Freakinout...his bike is tricked out...and he's a great guy to chat with...Actually, there aren't many people on here that aren't great. Beartooth Kawasaki, our FORUM sponsor has the Manuals that you need for your bike get them and study them. Get a small notebook for on the road, log everything, then put every detail in you computer and log everychange that you make. Tire pressures, fork oils, mileage with what oils, spark plugs, chains sprockets...every detail to keep you informed and the dealer too. Lube those cables, keep them adjusted, clean the air filter often, oil and oil filter, lube the bike, and lube the chain!!! Add things like a great, not just a cheap gas filter...and stay in touch with the FORUM...for your every question and laugh that you find out there...this is a fun place and not a place whre you will get criticized for doing something you thought was stupid. Now putting water in spark plug holes to loosen carbon deposits...it doesn't work...lubricating the muffler bearings and putting silicone on the seat to make it shine........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after getting the prices for the front, rear, and chain set, I've decided just to get the front -1 and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPROCKET

ASK Beartoth for their price on a complete set including front, rar and chain...along with the discount. IF you have ANY wear you will destroy the other sprocket in no time at all...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
-1 front will give you lots of torque. I originally did -1 front and +1 rear, although I've gone back to the stock front and stuck with the +1 rear. You get grunt out of the gearing being lowered, but I accelerate faster from 0-60 with the +1 rear by itself. (only have to use 2 gears, instead of 3)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windscreen/windshield

ZX-2R

You mentioned a new, or taller windscreen to get you into the slipstream more. Any recomendations/web sites for that. I can't seem to find much, and the dealer can only offer me the zero gravity oem replacement.

I'm guessing here, but it seems to me that in my normal situp riding position I'm being hit in the chest by the wind off the windshield. When I lean forward it seems to be hitting me in the helmet, however I can sometimes can almost 5mph in this position at the same rpm.

I've also heard rumors that the taller ones, or one that flip up actually make things worse by moving the wind up from hitting you in the chest, to hitting you in the head.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Windscreens

Lockhart Phillips, Targa, Givi, Sportech VFLOW, maybe Memphis Shades...someone makes a "double bubble" shield as well. You might ask Aikata, as he's over 6' and I suggested one to him...somehow my file is missing from my bag... You can try all the motorcycle places (ads) and type in windscreens...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts