Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i can't start my bike (500R), it cranks but very weak, so i pulled the battery out and take ameter reading, it's like 10v
so i pour distilled water in and take it to an auto store for a recharge,
it's better, but the voltage reads slightly under 11.5volts,
it cranked better but still couldn't start
so i try jump start it with the battery from my Car, and then i hear the starter crank real strong, but yet, no luck, it keeps cranking but won't fire up

any suggest ? should i try a brand new battery or pull out the sparkplug maybe ?

also i got a dumb question, there's two plastic tube (1 black and 1 transparent) coming out from the tank, it's leading to no where, is that normal or should it connect to somewere else ?
Thx everyone

·
Registered
142 Posts
First you may want to check to see that you have spark at all. Remove a spark plug and ground it on the motor; then crank it over to see if in fact you do have spark. Next check to see that you are getting fuel. Make sure that the fuel is turned on and flowing from the tank to the carb. Also check to see that you do have compression. A motor requires only 3 things to fire- fuel, compression and spark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the easy way to see if its getting fuel is to take a straw and dip it in the gas tank and cover the top of the straw. you know so the fuel stays in the straw, then drop fuel into each combustion chamber, put the plugs back in and if it fires up but dies you know its not getting fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so in this case, if i try jump start it with a car batt, that means that problem is not the batt ?

is there any special tools i need to use in order to remove the spark plug ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes, if the bike starts with a different battery replace your battery.

you should have a tool in your bikes tool kit which fits your sparkplug otherwise simply go buy a deep socket which does.

&BTW don't jump start a motorcycle (you know with jumper cables) it can destroy your regulator/rectifier. its cheaper to just buy a new battery than to jump start a bad battery then have to replace your battery and regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do i know if i have destroy my regulator when i was trying to jumpstart it yesterday ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
usually you can get away with trying to jump start a bike once or twice but if you did damage your regulator/rectifier you know because it will keep your battery from being recharged.

no big deal really.. just make sure you have spark and fuel is getting to the engine before you worry about other stuff.

& and only put a 5 drops or so of fuel into the combustion chamber, you know, not a whole straw full.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Zing said:
also i got a dumb question, there's two plastic tube (1 black and 1 transparent) coming out from the tank, it's leading to no where, is that normal or should it connect to somewere else ?
Thx everyone
One tube is an overfill drip tube. That is for when you fuel your bike if you start to over fill the gas tank it drips out the clear tube, you'll see a wet patch under your bike at the gas station if you do that. The black tube is one of two things, it's either the battery water drip tube (if your using a battery that is not sealed) or it's the tube used for the evironmental gas to air thing that this country is always so concerned about (i think).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NO START

Joey called right...First thing is to get rid of your old battery! Then when you get your new one buy a small battery tender for it. it should not go down to 10 or 11 Vdc. It is easier to see the spark on the plugs if you remove them and ground them to the bike somewhere that is bare metal. With no spark plugs in the engine it should turn the engine real easy and if you can do it in the evening or in a garage without to much light it will be easier to see. The spark should be white or even blue/white. If it is not, then buy new spark plugs and try it again. Spark plugs can go bad after any time at all. I bought new ones one time and the entire batch that the dealer had were defective. I know that it is hard to beleive, but I had him try my plugs and they were bad so he gave me another pair and we tested them before I left the store...After He opened up another box they worked. I have always kept my old plugs if they still work for spares...sometimes they will go bad. whether it is additives in the fuel, water, dust or whatever, even carbon, they can go bad. If you ride at very low speeds in a high gear the engine will load up and the plugs will foul too. Some people don't understand that the motor has to work freely and they put to much load on it...wet plugs don't work. IF you get the new plugs in and then it works great...still if you do have the great spark from the plugs then do the gas from the straw trick...this way you do not put to much gas into the cylinders. Read the instructions on torquing the plugs. Most people tighten them to much, because they don't understand that it only has to be just a litttle beyond snug for them to be tight enough. Check the off/on/off switch (emergency switch) operate it and make sure that it is in the on position and also rotate the gas petcock back and forth so that if there is anything in it it will pass and allow gas to continue from the tank to the carbs. I believe in gas filters but the good ones that the dealers sell, not the plastic ones. With all of this the bike should start! Also if you have bike friends ask them to watch you, but allow you to do all of the work... Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STARTING

ZING, also check that your bike is in NEUTRAL when you try to start it. IF the kickstand has a switch on it and it is oxidized or dirty and the bike is in gear it won't start...you may want to clean it...anyway...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh thank you guys, my bike starts finally
i changed sparkplug, recharge battery, and drained all gas.
it turns out to be bad gas.
i put new gas in and it fires rite up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts